PDA

View Full Version : Blown head gasket

stacker
11-17-2007, 16:43
I just blew the head gasket on the passenger side. Don't know if getting her hot a little about 3000 miles ago not over 240 but i lost a belt and before i could shut her down she spiked. But i put another belt and drove her hard for about 3k a couple of week ago i put on a new turbo, turbo master, 4in exhaust, turned up the fuel 1/6 and the other nite she coughed up a hair ball went to missing and then i slowed down and she start running ok. but when i got home. she had a little ticking clucking noise coming from the passenger side. Next day i filled her up with water and that stuff was running out the exhaust flange, like a hose. So just wondering if the boost and all got the head gasket or heat or old age. suppose to have 40kon block , but i bought it used and the od shows 250k.
93 ck 3500 5spd. 28ft fiver
turned up 1/6 boost set at 12 4in exhaust, banks gauges

More Power
11-18-2007, 14:01
Sounds like you need to pull the head to see what the problem might be(gasket and/or crack).... When a 6.5 is used as a grocery getter, a soccer mom hauler or commuter, these head gaskets can last a long-long time. I know of some that went to 450K plus. When used as a heavy-hauler, the life of the head gaskets falls to usually less than 100K. Throw in a few overtemp incidents, and it can come sooner.

Generally, a short duration of 240 ECT doesn't appear to be a big problem, but higher ECTs might be.

Use the newest Fel-Pro head gaskets, new TTY head bolts and pay attention to best-accepted assembly procedures, and you'll be fine.

Jim

stacker
11-18-2007, 15:06
Well the local mech said i was looking at 1800.00 to rr the heads with machine work and all. Is that fair or not.
Thanks a little frustrated. One of those used truck not so good deals, Suppose to have 40 K on the engine,250k on truck)ran great until, i broke a belt, replaced the belt still ran great for 3000miles then the turbo died, 1000.00 for the turbo and labor. Just happen to break to far from the house. On the way back about 800 miles. The head gasket blow and you could tell it almost immediately. Next day water come out the exhaust flange (alot)
Do you think that 12 psi boost is too. much or was is just time to blow.

More Power
11-18-2007, 23:07
I recommend pulling the one head to see what you're dealing with. Once you know the full extent of the problem, you can decide how to proceed.

Someone able to do the work himself could do it for a whole lot less. If it's just a gasket, it'll be well under $100.

Jim

93GMCSierra
11-19-2007, 00:49
I replaced both gaskets, most of the seals and the head bolts for just over $100 I did the work myself though.