PDA

View Full Version : On the recovery road

Robyn
11-18-2007, 18:03
Finished all the oral surgery Friday and well on my way to recovery now.
This pix is 48 hours postop and I am loving the new look for sure.

Now If I can figure out how to grin and make truck problems go away I will have it whipped.

Just wanted to share.
The whole thing has not changed my caustic wit though :eek:
But it has given me a smile to fool people with. :D

Best to all my friends here.

Robyn

rustyk
11-18-2007, 23:13
Finished all the oral surgery Friday and well on my way to recovery now.
This pix is 48 hours postop and I am loving the new look for sure.

Now If I can figure out how to grin and make truck problems go away I will have it whipped.

Just wanted to share.
The whole thing has not changed my caustic wit though :eek:
But it has given me a smile to fool people with. :D

Best to all my friends here.

Robyn

Attractive - but scary - what is Missy Goodwrench smiling about? :D

Robyn
11-19-2007, 07:41
Thanks Rusty

Well Missy here is real happy to be on the back side of the grade and on the downhill slope (so to speak)
This backshop overhaul of my mouth seemed like a grand idea but having one of my most important attributes loused up for over two months was a bit nasty.

About half the time I was sored up real good from having teeth out and the rest of the time was minus almost everything needed to eat with.

Now having that behind me is about as good a reason to smile as I can think of right now.

I do a lot of speaking to groups of students as I am a firearms instructor and I am as verbose in the classroom as I am here, possibly more so.

I am the type of instructor that wants the student to hear whats on my mind.

I also spend as much time as is needed to answer the students questions after a session is finished.
On the range I am constantly barking orders and giving instruction on issues that come up.

The last two months have kept me fairly subdued and that has been just not me for sure.

Now I am having to work hard to get my speach back to something close to normal.
Spending a lot of time talking to anything and everything including myself to get the brain back in sinc after the overhaul.

Its coming along real well and fairly fast too. The only real issue now is on occasion I will get an "S" sound that gets a tad slushy sounding if I go too fast.

Not at all bad the doc says. It will be 72hrs today at 3pm so as usual Im pushing things out to the edge of the envelope.

OH BTW
I dont reccomend this procedure. The Cal custom grill sure looks pretty but its not quite as good as the original factory one used to be a long time ago.
My wolf whistle is permanently broken me thinks and to whistle while I work is also lost in action. :eek:

Lots of show but the go part is a little lacking. :rolleyes:

Trying to convince my kid that she needs to take good care of her equipment, but she is scared to death of dentists. :(

Best

Robyn

rustyk
11-19-2007, 21:34
Thanks Rusty

Trying to convince my kid that she needs to take good care of her equipment, but she is scared to death of dentists. :(

Best

Robyn

Good for you!

As to your kid, remind her what the Fram Filter Guy used to say: "You can pay me now, or pay me later...!" Not that I use Fram filters, but a modest fear of the dentist today trumps a justifiable major fear of the dentist later...

Robyn
11-19-2007, 23:21
Oh yeah buddy.

I used to go religiously until I was in a position of not having any insurance. At that point it was running maintenance only.
Basically go until something hurts and then fix it.
That program finally caught up with me.
My daughter is a big girl now an married and she is going to have to take care of herself.

I can suggest to her that the dentist I am using is very gentle and will listen to all of her fears but I doubt that she is going to listen.

I will say one thing, what I have now sure looks lovely but the old ones in as poor a shape as they were worked better to scarf down the chow.

Oh well , no more toothaches and all that crap.

Finally got these little devils pretty well dehorned me thinks.
No matter how hard they try there does not seem to be a way to make the new parts fit perfect without having to hand fit the little creatures.

Just sort of like having to select fit the bearings on a 6.5 :D

Such is life.

later

Robyn

Mark Rinker
11-20-2007, 05:09
Robyn - Congrats on your new smile, it must feel good to have it taken care of. Sad that dentistry and orthodontics are so expen$ive and end up out of reach for so many kids.

Robyn
11-20-2007, 08:10
The cost of dentistry is just like the business you and I are engaged in, screw up, and there will be someones attorney waiting to see you.
I asked my dentist why having implant is so spendy $$$$$$$$$ as I wanted to have 4 mini's done to hold my lower (Future)

He explained that the procedure although easy is tricky in that the lingual nerve in the jaw can be easily hit with the tools used to do the work and if this happens, can leave parts of the face or jaw Numb permanently.

I screw up and hurl that 53 ton rig of mine off the road and a whole lot of folks could die and real quick.

You get sloppy and have a rig jackknife and toss one of those big boats you transport into oncoming traffic and things are very ugly and quick.

The incidence of law suits and huge awards is the cause of the exponential rise is the cost of a lot of things.

When I was young my folks could not afford the $$$$ to do any more than rudimentary repairs so I did not get the bionic smile that the little girl across the road got.

Oh bloody well, I survived it :D

Basic care though is still not available to many.

Mark
Thanks for the good vibes.
Im still stumbling a little and relearning things that I have been doing for over 50 years.
The truth is Im very happy so far but had it not been for health reasons I would not have done this.
I am not that vain of a person and I do believe that "if it ain't broke, dont scew with it"
But the Hollywood grin is way kewl though. :D

Hmmmm
I really think learning to use a prosthetic leg would have been easier! :eek:
At least it would not screw with my morning coffee. :D

One thing for sure though Im not going to get one just to see :rolleyes:

My best

Robyn

NutNbutGMC
11-20-2007, 12:25
Congrats on the new mouthpiece.... :D

You look great!

I always enjoy your posts. Thanks for all that you bring to the forum.

Robyn
11-20-2007, 16:10
Thank you for the compliments.

I try to bring my years of expertise here and make it available for all thise in need.
Some times even I need help on an issue and this is the first place I stop.

Now that my "backshop refit" is over I am getting excited about getting back to work on my Humvee project and seeing if I can get that thing up and going.

Ah well a womans work is never done.

Robyn

a5150nut
11-20-2007, 19:45
Oh yeah buddy.

Finally got these little devils pretty well dehorned me thinks.
No matter how hard they try there does not seem to be a way to make the new parts fit perfect without having to hand fit the little creatures.

Just sort of like having to select fit the bearings on a 6.5 :D

Such is life.

later

Robyn

I can see it now. Robin in the shop pulling out the Dremel to get things just right! :D Looks great, and it sounds like it was a little either for the self esteem too.

trbankii
11-20-2007, 20:27
Congrats on the new grin!

rustyk
11-20-2007, 21:21
"Grandma, what BIG TEETH you have!"

"All the better to rip your throat out, my dear!"

Somewhat altered from Little Red Riding Hood...:D

Robyn
11-20-2007, 21:58
Rusty.
No air tools but I do have handful of emery boards that I use on ocasion for the acrylic fungernails.
These work sweet on acrylic teeth base material. The slightest little bit of a rough spot in the wrong place and it feels like a bloody rock in there.

Self esteem is an interesting subject. I never worried about such issues and certainly never had a problem being in front of large groups speaking and or in front of the video camera.

I always like to look my best but never took this to extreme or had issues with it.

Now when the oportunity came along to do some serious self improvement I jumped at the chance.

I am definately not the prettiest gal in the box but no matter I like to look nice and at my age looking nice is not something that is going to be happening for too many more years.

So why not.

I will see if I can get some new "Looking" white Monogramed coveralls with
Missy Goodwench on the front for some staged shots under the hood just for ****s and giggles.

Thanks and OH BTW sounds like my kind of grandma

Robyn

Kmehr
04-05-2008, 11:25
teeth look great! I can attest to your pain somewhat, I have had 2 teeth implants myself and know that they are no fun! Though its not from a fear of dentists, just never had those two to begin with!