PDA

View Full Version : Best shocks for my suburban

Petrella
01-15-2006, 10:22
Its time to change the shocks, just wondering what are my best options and brands for a new set of shocks.

------------------------------------------------

1994 K2500 4x4 Suburban
6.5 Turbo Diesel
Pyro,Tranny,Oil,Diff temp Gauges, Boost Gauge
FSD Cooler from my GM dealer
Sweet sounding JK Exhaust
Heath Chip
Boost Controller
Crystal Projection headlights, Turn signals and reflectors.
Euro Tail Lights
Cowl Induction Hood
2" Lift
305/70R/16 BF Goodrich All Terrains
11.5" FF 3.73 Posi with Rear Disc brakes
American Eagle 16x10 chrome wheels, style 145
Alpine Stereo,DVD,Navigation System,rear montors
Viper alarm, and remote starter
Indigo Blue Metallic
Pics of my truck - http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=anthony1982&x

Barry Nave
01-15-2006, 11:22
One vote for Bilstein.
Installed 6yrs ago and can't say enough about the ride,control and the shocks have both rebound and damping control.
Still work like the day I installed them.
And they are a Gas :D

MTTwister
01-15-2006, 12:36
Another vote for Bilstein.

TurboDiverArt
01-15-2006, 17:24
I have Bilstein's on all four points. They were on the truck when I bought it. I don't know how old they are but at least 60K-80K. No up and down floating so they are still functioning well.

Art.

tanker
01-15-2006, 17:26
I installed them on my 95 Suburban, ran them for many years without a problem. Bilsteins are great. ;)

Dihrdbowti
01-15-2006, 18:28
I put Bilsteins on my Yukon. I like them.

garre1tt
01-15-2006, 18:41
I will say that I just replaced the shocks on both of my diesels. I did not research this like I did the other modifications on the vehicals. That research was done before I found TDP as I am replacing many of the SSdiesel supply options.
Back on subject, I ended up with Gabriel shocks.
I will not say they are any better than stock. They fixed my problems and they still drive like a truck.
Just thought that I should say that if you are looking for improvement buy something more than replacement stock.
Michael D

Perry
01-15-2006, 18:42
I still have my factory installed Bilsteins on my Suburban...I'm always amazed that they can dampen so much mass w/o loss of handling after seven years. I've always put on Bilsteins on my cars and trucks as replacements and have been very satisfied. Even my 87 diesel Mercedes w/142k miles is still running its factory Bilsteins and they still handle like new.

Black95TD
01-15-2006, 18:52
Another vote for Bilsteins. When I put them on my 95 years ago, there were two variations abailable; HD and Ride. I chose the HD's and they are very firm. Personally, I liked them. When I sold the truck last summer, they had about 80K on them and performed just like new.

I put Bilsteins on my new K2500 with just 2K miles on it. Could not stand the factory shocks. Compared with the old Bilstein HD's, the factory shocks felt like the truck was leaping over bumps! There seemed to be only one choice - Rides and they are better than stock but not as firm as the old HD's. If the HD's were available for the new truck, I would have picked them.

Dvldog 8793
01-15-2006, 19:04
Howdy
Bilsteins are best...Tried gabriels and Ranchos, IMHO they aint the answer!
L8r
Conley

gmenor
01-15-2006, 19:42
Just installed Bilstiens on my Burb. Difference between night and day on performance. Factory shocks had me all over the place. Also had the steering box adjusted while they were add it, what a difference.

MJEasly
01-15-2006, 19:53
What are the differences between the factory installed Bilstein and the aftermarket versions? Any?

Barry Nave
01-16-2006, 03:15
What are the differences between the factory installed Bilstein and the aftermarket versions? Any?

None.

I also use a steering dampner.
This also helps with control.

Warren96
01-16-2006, 04:46
I put Edelbrocks on my 1994 Blazer under my 6.5L. Nicer ride than stock.Whatever brand you pick make sure they are gas charged.

Kennedy
01-16-2006, 06:28
Originally posted by MJEasly:
What are the differences between the factory installed Bilstein and the aftermarket versions? Any? If they are yellow, then they are Bilsteins. I'm not too up on Suburban std equipment, but the Z71 trucks of the 88-98 body style had them as OEM. I wasn't aware that the Subs got them. Must have been a special option as we sell a LOT of Bilsteins for this application.

More Power
01-16-2006, 12:14
Bilsteins are a good choice. I will also say that running the tires on the hard side (especially the front) can make a big improvement in vehicle handling.

Jim

Petrella
01-16-2006, 16:37
Allright cool! looks like ill be gettin myself a set of bilsteins. do they sell different styles, or is there only one specific style for my burb?

DmaxMaverick
01-16-2006, 21:32
Originally posted by Petrella:
Allright cool! looks like ill be gettin myself a set of bilsteins. do they sell different styles, or is there only one specific style for my burb? Excellent choice!

If this is for the Sub with the 2" lift, you'll want to talk with Kennedy before you commit. You may need an extended shock. Depending on the lift brand, it may or may not need stock length.

Petrella
01-17-2006, 20:44
actually, my original shocks are fine still lots of clearance before they bottom out, but i was looking at the Bilstein website and they do have shocks for lifted vehicle applications, so i took the part number down for the lifted shocks.

DmaxMaverick
01-17-2006, 21:30
Originally posted by Petrella:
actually, my original shocks are fine still lots of clearance before they bottom out, but i was looking at the Bilstein website and they do have shocks for lifted vehicle applications, so i took the part number down for the lifted shocks. Still....

The design of a shock for a specific application is more than just size and throw. The shocks are designed to operate in a specific environment. Even though you still have clearance, the shock might be operating outside its design. The valving within most quality shocks have different orifices at different positions of extension, which means dampening is different at full extension/compression, than in the middle. I suggest you speak to someone of authority (not me) as to which model is best for your application. The 2" lift you have may not effect the shock operation at all. Some lifts have accomodations for shocks to allow OEM shocks to be used. The best place for this answer the manufacturer of the lift kit. Ask them which is the best shock length to use, OEM, longer, shorter, etc.