PDA

View Full Version : E-brake stuck

bcdriver
11-20-2007, 16:13
My ebrake sticks in my Cheyenne 3500 when ever I use it so I don't use it. Unfortunatley someone else parked my truck and used it now it is stuck. It will roll in the driveway but getting up to highway speeds causes overheating.

How do I unstick it? I got under there and tried pushing cable back towards rear wheel. Minimal movement, maybe enough. Can I remove the whole thing? What am I damaging exactly? There is some grease that cooked out on to the backing plate from the 1st time I realized it was problem way back when. Now I don't want to drive anywhere for fear of exaserbating the problem.

a5150nut
11-20-2007, 19:47
What year is the beast? Drum or Hat?

bcdriver
11-21-2007, 10:01
She is a 1994 1ton with dualies. 5speed manual. I'm sure it has drum brakes in rear, not sure what 'hat' is.

a5150nut
11-21-2007, 10:49
She is a 1994 1ton with dualies. 5speed manual. I'm sure it has drum brakes in rear, not sure what 'hat' is.

About 2000 or so they went to rear disc. With that they added an internal drum inside the disc, "hat" is one way it is referred to.

I don't think you have a cam on the dually, but has anything gone past it's stops? Your gonna need to pull the drums. They might be caught on the rim of the drum when you go to get them off, maybe someone will chime in with a trick to these.

Robyn
11-21-2007, 13:00
Very likely the cables one or both have stuck to the sheath due to rust.
This can sometimes be corrected by soaking the cables in a bath of diesel oil but usually the best way is to replace the two cables with new ones.
Its an easy job that takes maybe half hour or so.
Good luck

Robyn

trbankii
11-21-2007, 13:49
On my Toyota, I had a similar problem. The cables were fine, but the bellcrank from the cable to inside the brake froze up due to lack of use. I had to disassemble everything, clean the rust and crud off of the pieces and then reassemble it with some white lithium grease at the various pivot points.

As with a lot of things, not using something can cause problems where regular use keeps things in working order.

HH
11-24-2007, 08:38
Just to get going you could cut the cable near the backing plate. You could try soaking them with diesel or some PB Blaster also, but that will just be a temporary fix. When you replace the cable(s), I would recommend getting cables with a coating on the inner cable.