PDA

View Full Version : Dark Antifreeze?

KBBEAS
11-20-2007, 21:41
IVE JUST REPLACED A WORN OUT 6.5 WITH AN 02 DURAMAX AND LOVE IT. MY CONCERN IS THE ANTIFREEZE RESERVOIR HAS A DARK RED ANTIFREEZE IN IT, AND NOT THE ORANGE-ISH RED DEXCOOL. HAS ANYONE SEEN THIS BEFORE? THANKS.:confused:

More Power
12-10-2007, 17:08
Most Dex-Cool I've seen was somewhat orange to pinkish to red. You could contact your dealer, and have them provide the warranty history to see whether there was any previous service work that involved opening the cooling system. If it was done at a GM dealer, you can be reasonably assured they used the right stuff.

Here's a pic I shot a few years ago comparing Dex to Prestone.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/dexcool08.jpg

Jim

a5150nut
12-10-2007, 20:11
IVE JUST REPLACED A WORN OUT 6.5 WITH AN 02 DURAMAX AND LOVE IT. MY CONCERN IS THE ANTIFREEZE RESERVOIR HAS A DARK RED ANTIFREEZE IN IT, AND NOT THE ORANGE-ISH RED DEXCOOL. HAS ANYONE SEEN THIS BEFORE? THANKS.:confused:

Had that on Ma's 98 Blazer V6 gas rig. Started looking like red clay building up in the system. Drained and flushed the system. Cleaned it using instant tea. Replaced the ageing Dex-cool with new and DISTILED water. Fill completely. Air in the system is supposed to cause problems, so can impure H2O. Just don't use pre-sweetened instant tea! :D

KBBEAS
12-10-2007, 20:49
Thanks For The Info. Ill Contact My Local Dealer And Check On Waranty Work, Then Ill Flush And Refil. Cooling System Is On Its 5th Year Anyway.