PDA

View Full Version : Block Inspection - Oil Pan Removal

DeereJohn
01-15-2006, 19:04
The extensive discussion about block cracking has me concerned since I haven't seen a number relating reported cracked blocks to the overall population of engines in service.

However, my 2000 3/4 ton 4x4 is still on warantee, ending July of this year. I was thinking about having the dealer pull the pan and show me that all is well in there before I own the block. I bought the 6-year GM warantee when it was new.

Is this a valid concern or thing to do? Will the pan come off with the engine in the truck, as is? Would you also recommend a compression test? The truck has not pulled many trailers, but it carries a 9'2" vee plow and has seen a few logging roads in its day.

JoeyD
01-16-2006, 03:46
If they pull the pan make sure you look at the block as well. It's not a bad idea to have any of this done if your under warranty.

Hubert
01-16-2006, 12:34
The oil pan can come off w/ engine still in truck but it is a PITA. You have to undo the front differential lower it some. Then figure out how to turn the pan to get it off. It wants to hang up on the oil pickup with the windage tray thingy. Note I had my tranny off which made it a little easier. Dealer should be able to do it but its gonna cost you. Figure extra additional time to really clean and inspect.

Food for thought if you have the money for dealer to do this might as well add the stud girdle for that warm and fuzzy feeling. I wish I would have put it on but did not have the money after all the other parts I bought.