ds4 vs ds2 pro's vs con's ??

i think i need a pump.
how much for parts ?
what all must be done ?

jim
jwm9289@adelphia.net

Kennedy
01-16-2006, 09:19
Bobbie Martin is down your way and could enlighten you on the conversion. I personally don't think it's worth doing, but ultimately the decision is yours.

The resale value of the vehicle could be called into question as most will view it as a "jerry rigged hybrid" etc.

The mechanical pumps are not infallible and will need periodic rebuild also. Average life is similar to the injectors with the best service life coming in the first 100k of operation. I know someone will say they have 250k on their DB2 etc, but these things wear out plain and simple. Advance piston bore and head/rotor assy is the big thing. Most DS pumps seem to live a long healthy life IF the electronics do not fail. The computer controls timing advance so you don't have a set of springs/weights and housing bore/piston to wear.

The life of any pump will benefit from the consistent use of a top quality lubricity additive like FPPF Total Power.

More Power
01-16-2006, 12:05
I get asked this question about once a week. My standard answer is:

If your pump is outside of the extended warranty and you have had poor luck with the electronic pump, requiring more than a couple of pump changes, you are a candidate for conversion.

I've heard some EFI pump replacements at some dealerships costing more than $2000 at the high end and about $750 at the low end. Buying all new DB2 mechanical parts required, including a replacement TCM & harness, sensors, brackets, fuel injector lines, cruise control, etc.... can cost upwards of $2500 plus labor to install.

If you are good at tracking down used parts, it'll cost less.

In the end, a professional looking installation that provides optimal engine operation should be your goal. A hack job, as John mentioned, will decrease the value of your truck/Suburban.

Jim

Kennedy
01-16-2006, 12:58
Just wanted to add that most DS pumps that are replaced are not actually bad. It's easier and more profitable to condemn the pump first and ask questions later...

DA BIG ONE
01-17-2006, 03:12
Originally posted by kennedy:
Just wanted to add that most DS pumps that are replaced are not actually bad. It's easier and more profitable to condemn the pump first and ask questions later... Most important to consider, your are in Florida where scam artists thrive in the truck repair & upgrade industry.

Do it yourself and save big $$$$.

john8662
01-17-2006, 08:11
I vote to keep the DS4.

Better starting abilities in the cold due to internal pump timing done by the computer.

Better idle quality when running and up to normal operating temperature as compared to the DB2.

Better fuel economy in some models.

J

bigjim
01-17-2006, 12:19
does anyone have the proper troubleshooting tree
or steps to properly troubleshoot the ds4 pump.
(i think i will stay with the ds4)

jim

jwm9289@adelphia.net

bigjim
01-18-2006, 15:59
i hooked up to a obdII scanner and the only code was p0238 boost psi circuit high.

chickenhunterbob
01-19-2006, 22:18
I have only a trouble shooting tree based on codes in my GM service manual for 1994.

Regardless of the year though, in order to diagnose (as much as can be done on a internet website) what are the symptoms that suspect the pump?

That will help.

Hubert
01-20-2006, 07:41
Jim,

Are you sure the reader you used read and understood GM diesel codes. I don't believe all scanners will read all codes. Most just read generic common automotive OBD-II compatitable codes.

I have a $100 scanner from Acutron or something from Autozone but looking up DTC 0036 on the software does not correspond with stuff I have read here.

bigjim
01-21-2006, 04:54
1996 6.5 turbo k3500

i was driving along on the highway,truck started black smoking,then white smoking. engine rpm's started reving up by itself. (3000-3500 rpm's)
i pulled over and the truck was leaking fuel at the fuel filter housing. i replace housing and bled system. no air. truck cranks over but won't fire.
( i have good fuel pressure at injection pump,no fuel is coming out the injectors.)

i have fixed the fuel leaks and the truck still wont run.

thanks, jim

More Power
01-21-2006, 12:05
GM Performance Parts offers a GM 4L60E AND 4L80E AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION CONTROLLER (http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/frame.html?/Transmission_Control_Modules/4L60E_4L80E.html)

P/N 12497316

This Assembly includes the transmission control unit (TCU) P/N 12489489, wiring harness P/N 12489490, Specifications P/N 12489491 (13 pages, 8 1/2 x 11 in size with detailed information - not shown), TCU/Laptop interface cable P/N 12489579, and the TCU/Laptop Interface Software Diskette P/N 12490207.

The control unit and programming software is designed to work with either a 4L60E or 4L80E transmission. The TCU/Laptop Specifications provides you with a step-by-step guide to a PC based control system for our Transmission Control System. This software allows you, through your PC, to take precise control of the transmission functions. You can control and alter the feel of a gearshift, the timing of the gearshift, and the application of the lockup in the torque converter. T-Com also allows you to have the transmission shift at wide open throttle (WOT) solely as a function of engine RPM, while it continues to follow a shift curve based on road speed and throttle position during part throttle driving.

T-Com is designed to allow maximum tuning for the performance enthusiast. the system comes already loaded with a transmission calibration that works quite well in most performance applications.

There are only four fields in the Global Calibration that “MUST” be entered for the system to function with the pre-programmed calibration. In order to get the system up and running, you simply have to enter the tire size, rear axle ratio, number of engine cylinders, and if you are using the 4L60E or 4L80E transmission.

The TCU comes with a generic calibration file installed. However, since different users can have wide ranging expectations of how hard and when they want the transmission to shift, the edit features allow for “customizing” the characteristics to meet those expectations.

Bobbie Martin
01-21-2006, 14:47
Originally posted by More Power:
GM Performance Parts offers a GM 4L60E AND 4L80E AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION CONTROLLER (http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/frame.html?/Transmission_Control_Modules/4L60E_4L80E.html)
That is a lot of money you really don't need to spend. There are much cheaper ways to do the same thing. It looks like you would still need the extra sensor in the transmission for 4WD use.

More Power
01-22-2006, 15:33
The salvage market can be a good source for low cost parts, but it can also be a somewhat unreliable source.

Jet Performance (http://www.jetchip.com) offered electronic kits for the 4L80-E. Their kit was priced at around $1500 in 1999 when we put the Project 6.5 together. They included generic sensors (TPS & engine speed), but the OEM 6.2/6.5 sensor components would work better.

More choices in parts sources are a good thing. Too bad someone doesn't offer a 6.5 EFI-MFI kit... smile.gif

Jim