PDA

View Full Version : MAF sensor and filter oiling....

Shed
11-22-2007, 18:41
#1 where is the MAF sensor on my 01'? Is it the little wire harness looking thing on the intake tube after the "filter clean" reader thingee?

#2 Any tips on oiling my Airaid filter? Seems everytime I oil it and the shop guy checks the MAF he says he has to clean it. He says I'm over oiling the filter.

#3 What harm does this do to the truck? MPG loss? Power loss? Engine failure?

#4 How do I clean the MAF? Can an idiot like me clean the MAF without seriously screwing up the truck?

Any immediate help would be appriciated! I'm leaving on a trip tomm. and just cleaned the filter and need to oil it! Thank you very much! Hope all are having a wonderful holiday and all are safe and happy!

Shed

DmaxMaverick
11-22-2007, 22:08
#1 where is the MAF sensor on my 01'? Is it the little wire harness looking thing on the intake tube after the "filter clean" reader thingee?

Yes.

#2 Any tips on oiling my Airaid filter? Seems everytime I oil it and the shop guy checks the MAF he says he has to clean it. He says I'm over oiling the filter.

Follow the instructions. If that isn't working, call them. There were a couple different filter types, so you need to make sure you are using the correct procedure. You only need enough oil on it to coat the surface and lightly soak through it. If it's dripping or "soggy", too much. Overoiling will cause the MAF to need cleaning often.

#3 What harm does this do to the truck? MPG loss? Power loss? Engine failure?

No harm to the truck. MPG and power loss is likely. No engine failure. It could cause the MAF to stop working properly, and complain via the SES.

#4 How do I clean the MAF? Can an idiot like me clean the MAF without seriously screwing up the truck?

Remove it (you will need a special torx bit, or modify one yourself...no rocket science involved). Spray the airway end with plastic safe electric/electronic contact cleaner. Allow it to dry thoroughly. Most cleaners are "quick dry", and only take a minute. Spray it only. Do not try to brush or scrub it. If you see something stuck to an element inside, carefully remove it with nothing more firm than a toothpick. NO METAL. If it doesn't come out very easily, leave it. You can't screw up the truck (well you can, but you can't be that bad, and not by just messing with the MAF).

Any immediate help would be appriciated! I'm leaving on a trip tomm. and just cleaned the filter and need to oil it! Thank you very much! Hope all are having a wonderful holiday and all are safe and happy!

Shed

How's that?

Shed
11-22-2007, 22:41
Maverick, Thank you!!!! I'll give it a go and hopefully no problems on the journey tommorrow. Again Thanks I really appriciate your expertise!!!!

Shed:D