PDA

View Full Version : DS4 preventive maintenance

jdmetcalf57
01-16-2006, 09:58
I do most of my driving thousands of miles from home in the middle of nowhere. I do not want to have a pump failure on the road. I can deal with the FSD. I always use a fuel additive at the highest recommended rate.

I would think that I need to rebuild the pump periodically as a preventitive measure if the pump doesn't give symptoms of failure long in advance. Does anyone have any recommendations about how many miles I should put on one between rebuilds?

I think it would probably cost 3-4 times what I could do it for if I had to replace the pump on the road. Not to mention it would waste several days of vacation.

JohnC
01-16-2006, 12:00
It seems to me that most of the non-FSD failures are not sudden. The latest DS4 pump is pretty good mechanically.

charliepeterson
01-16-2006, 13:44
One thing to keep in mind is the fuel running through the injection pump is what keeps it from overheating. During the summer this is more important. The fuel in the tank is the heat sink to get rid of heat. A working lift pump is criticle during hot spells.
Starting in '07 all the fuel on the street is going to be "ultra low sulfer". It's been my experiance that my truck doesn't like this stuff very much without the fuel conditioner added by me.
If the DS4 has been swapped out within the last few years you will have all the upgraded parts inside and the reliability will be much better than years past. These pumps won't quit over night.

Hubert
01-17-2006, 06:14
What are all the signs of a soon to quit DS pump?
I think these are indicators:
1) Hard warm starts.
2) A shudder or jerk at low fuel demand trying to meter fuel for small load and maintain constant RPM.
3) Surging w/o throttle input.

Other things can cause these symptoms too but I think I have read several posts w/ above symptoms end up with new IP.

What else would one look for? I am concerned about #2 above on my IP. I haven't had either of the other symptoms yet.?

Kennedy
01-17-2006, 06:16
FPPF Total Power, FSD Cooler, lift supply (throughput) and INTERCOOLING are the best things you can do IMHO.

JohnC
01-17-2006, 08:25
Most non-FSD failures will set codes before stranding you.

In 150K miles with my '95 it never failed to get me home. The second day of FSD trouble was close, though...