PDA

View Full Version : Air Filter For Ss Diesel System

Scooby
11-24-2007, 14:48
I replaced my stock flat panel air filter with the SS Diesel kit, and have been very happy with it. The only thing I didnt like was that the kit uses an ineffecient oil wetted gauze filter just like K&N. Many may have other opinions, but I have seen a lot of test data and it always shows the oil wetted gauze at the bottom of the efficiency scale. Being an Amsoil fan, I am happy to say I have found an AMSOIL EA air filter that is nearly identicle to the one supplied in the SS DIesel kit. It is part # EaAU3050. The Ea filters are EXTREME EFFICIENCY filters, and can be easily cleaned with low pressure shop air. No oil needed, and very good filtration. Hope this will help someone else.

Rick

DA BIG ONE
11-25-2007, 02:45
There has been since I can remember a debate as to which air filter is better, oiled, dry, etc.

Some say the big round delco paper filter flows more air that most aftermarket filters but I have not seen this be the case in fact when I install one on my 6.5td I lose power across the board because of the restriction, so, I stick with the K&N w/pre-filter.

Perhaps other aftermarket filters might perform better than say a K&N but if I'm going to sink more $$$ I'd be going for the biggest Douglas canister system I can fit in there.

Airfilter restriction tests I've seen all have their faults and have marketing value for one supplier or another.

Strict lab tests to control all variables are required to get accurate results, again I haven't seen any.

Scooby
11-25-2007, 12:47
I am sure you will get better airflow with the K & N filter. The test results I look at concentrate on EFFICIENCY as welll as airflow. That is where the K & N is lacking. That is why you have to oil the gauze. The fibers in the K & N filter allow a lot of air thru- along with particles of dirt. The oil helps trap some of the particles. Believe me, I used the oil style filters for a lot of years in my mud truck, and four wheelers. I always saw dirt tracking behind the filter on my mud truck, and figured water spray was causing dirt to pass thru the filter. I then switched to a larger standard paper filter, and changed it a lot. The dirt trails disappeared. I have now changed to dry style cleanable filters, such as the Amsoil Ea filters.
I am not trying to get anyone to switch filters. Use what you like. Amsoil has the test results on their website, as do most other filter manufactures. Just be sure to check the micron rating. K & N tests their filters down to 5.5 microns (see their website), whereas Amsoil measures the Ea filter at .8 micron. You will not find (or at least I have not been able to) comparisons on the K & N site. You will on most other manufacturers sites, as the numbers fall in their favor.
All I was trying to do in the post is make a part number available for our trucks. I like when others do the same, and it saves me time searching.

Rick

DA BIG ONE
11-25-2007, 14:50
I am sure you will get better airflow with the K & N filter. The test results I look at concentrate on EFFICIENCY as welll as airflow. That is where the K & N is lacking. That is why you have to oil the gauze. The fibers in the K & N filter allow a lot of air thru- along with particles of dirt. The oil helps trap some of the particles. Believe me, I used the oil style filters for a lot of years in my mud truck, and four wheelers. I always saw dirt tracking behind the filter on my mud truck, and figured water spray was causing dirt to pass thru the filter. I then switched to a larger standard paper filter, and changed it a lot. The dirt trails disappeared. I have now changed to dry style cleanable filters, such as the Amsoil Ea filters.
I am not trying to get anyone to switch filters. Use what you like. Amsoil has the test results on their website, as do most other filter manufactures. Just be sure to check the micron rating. K & N tests their filters down to 5.5 microns (see their website), whereas Amsoil measures the Ea filter at .8 micron. You will not find (or at least I have not been able to) comparisons on the K & N site. You will on most other manufacturers sites, as the numbers fall in their favor.
All I was trying to do in the post is make a part number available for our trucks. I like when others do the same, and it saves me time searching.

Rick

I found long ago that a pre-filter fixes the dirt trails you mention with resulting loss of air flow by 10%.

Not knocking your post at all & sorry if it came across like that for the info you posted is good info in the "air filtering" arena.