PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Oil Pan Gasket

67-72williso
11-25-2007, 18:17
Is there a gasket that goes between the timing cover and the oil pan seal surface? The kit I have doesn`t have one in it.
Thanks Willis

999kid
11-26-2007, 13:54
yes, got mine at advanced, it was felpro.

More Power
11-26-2007, 14:02
The oil pan should be installed without a pan perimeter gasket, by simply using a 5mm bead of silicone gasket compound. There is a semi-circular lip-seal used at the rear of the pan, but no gasket should be used otherwise.

Jim

67-72williso
11-26-2007, 19:35
Thanks for the Info Jim.
Willis

Robyn
11-26-2007, 20:02
The factory installed them with the seal at the rear and the goooo on the rails and the front.
Felpro and a couple others offer gaskets sets that have either a full gasket that fits the front and both rails and or the two rails and the front as seperate pieces.
Th rear always gets the neoprene piece.
The gaskets work fine if you use a little high temp silicone to tack them to the block and to seal tha gaps at the rear seal piece.
I have done it both ways and I personally prefer the gasket set that has the front and sides together and the rear saddle seal.

My 94 Burb got the gaskets and has stayed nice and dry.
The goooooo works well, just be sure that your surfaces are clean and oil free.
Use a product like brakekleen to wipe the surfaces of the pan and the block before applying the goop.
GM did it because it was fast and cheap.

Over time the goop can start to leak. If the gaskets are installed right they are pretty good.
Definately use the gooooo on the Valve covers. I have used gaskets and they can be a PITA especially when they start leaking about a week after you install the engine and run it. (Ask me how I know this) :(

best

Robyn