PDA

View Full Version : Block Heater problem

SteveJan
11-26-2007, 12:53
I have a 97 Van 6.5TD. I'm having a problem with the GFI tripping off when I plug in the block heater. Thinking the block heater was bad I replaced it last year along with the cable. The old one appeared in OK condition no corrosion etc. problem seemed solved. This last week and today problem reoccured, tripping the GFI. I checked cable for wear and found none. Pulled cable from block heater and all I found was the slightest amount of water in and around the plug, so I blew compressed air in and around the plug and problem gone, for now, until it gets wet again. OBTW I tried 2 different GFI outlets, one outside garage and one inside garage, and if I use a non GFI protected outlet everything is find. (This means running extension cord through a open window). GFI too sensitive? Any suggestions? Thanks.

john8662
11-26-2007, 14:43
Test with meter to determine which areas you have continuity. Test to make sure that at no point you get continuity to the ground prong.

Other than that I'd stand that the GFI is likely your cause.

I have certainly replaced a large quantity of defective GFI's though, but usually of the variety that won't reset, thus breaking the circuit.

How long of an extension cord?

The Block heater pulls 300watts, or roughly 3 amps.

Most home GFI's are rated to 15 amps.

I'm running my block heater for my '91 suburban off a plug in the garage that is also a GFI and have had no issues to date doing so. But, I'm using 14awg extension cords that are less than 50' in length. Burb sits just outside the garage, so it's no big length of distance.

I'd also recommend a HD timer, it usually only takes an hour to be warm enough to start well, so I save on the electric bill. Comes on at 7am, I fire it up at 7:50, head to work.

J

TAG
11-26-2007, 19:15
I have had the same experience, every time I plugged it in when everything was wet, it would trip the ground fault. I finally clipped the ground prong off the extension cord. I am not suggesting this method, but it worked for me.

markelectric
11-26-2007, 19:32
GFI's hate water! dry it out and protect it from getting wet again (dielectric grease or equal). I would hate to be the one that grabs the doorhandle when something really goes wrong with the one without the third prong. Do you want your kids around that?

DmaxMaverick
11-26-2007, 19:38
It's the GFCI. Same problem when trying to plug in travel trailers. Try a circuit that's not a GFCI. The ground is attached to the block, as is the neutral wire in modern household wiring plans. That's why GFCI requires its own circuit and breaker. If this is a problem, there isn't a problem snipping the ground pole on the cord. The neutral wire is grounded. If you snip it, do not use it on a non GFCI circuit unless know the neutral is grounded. Do this at your own risk. I can't see what you are doing (or did), and accept no responsibility. If you are standing in a puddle and get a new hairdo, it wasn't my fault.

Robyn
11-26-2007, 19:54
My GFCI plug in the garage will hold fine but its a HD unit. many of the chezzy ones that are installed in home applications simply are too sensitive.

If the heater had an issue usually they will either, not work, blow the breaker.

My indoor ones will trip many times if I plug in a disc grinder and burp the trigger and poof the GFCI trips.

Try a HD GFCI plug

Robyn