PDA

View Full Version : Looking at 97 6.5

JDogZ71
11-27-2007, 19:41
I am new to 6.5's but have been around diesels for a long time. Recently a 97 6.5 came up for sale locally and appears to be in good physical shape but I have a few questions: it has 130000 miles on it and is completely stock,is there anything in particular to look for or ask about, can this truck be chipped or is that only for 94-94 6.5? What should I look for or lookout for? Thanks any help is appreciated

JCM5
11-29-2007, 14:08
My 6.5 has 160000 on it and runs fine. Had it for 9 years

If you plan on using this truck to pull anything then you will need about 1500 to put into it for items like Exhaust. If you are looking for reliability, these 6.5 start in all conditions and are very reliable with the exceptions of the PMD in hotter climates. 500 part.

I like the 6.5 for the price but if you really want a Work Diesel then I would not recommend this engine. It has alot of inherent faults and lacks power. Look at the 6.6 or the Cummins Diesels.

Price usually plays a major factor in all of our decisions.

No this truck can not be chipped, it requires a reflashed computer $600 with exchange, Im told it can get gains but no promises. Look at Kennedys web site for info. Personally im not a big fan of this type of modification.