PDA

View Full Version : 3500 overload spring 'slap'

Mark Rinker
12-01-2007, 06:42
My '06 flatbed has a nearly constant spring slap when empty over even small bumps. It gets better (less frequent) but doesn't totally disappear when loaded with weight on the bed, or gooseneck trailer in tow.

Any other 3500 series owners with this issue? Remedies? Earplugs? :rolleyes:

chipper
12-01-2007, 20:48
I had some rubber "end caps" installed by GM on mine. Stopped the slapping noise.

Mark Rinker
12-02-2007, 08:03
I'll check with the parts department and see if they can be purchased. Do they install on the spring end, or on the frame mounted stop?

Robyn
12-02-2007, 13:58
My 95 DaHooooley does it. Its nasty on gravel roads but not real noticeable on the asphalt roads.

I have never had a dually 1 ton that did not do it. Some are just worse than others.

A rubber or UHMW bumper pad on the takeup bracket will lessen the noise some.

I have used flat 1/4" UHMW and bolted it to the takeup brackets before.
The UHMW is tough stuff and will wear quitea long while before it goes way.
There will still be a little slap but it does take the nasty CLACK out of it.

Hope that helps

chipper
12-02-2007, 21:40
I'll check with the parts department and see if they can be purchased. Do they install on the spring end, or on the frame mounted stop?

Spring ends.

tanker
12-03-2007, 03:41
I have the same thing when not towing. Towing I'm using the helpers a bit, so I don't notice the slap. Doesn't bother my wife or myself, but when someone with good hearing is on board, they always say whats that noise? (What noise!!)
I'd like to look into those rubber caps. Wonder how long they will last?

SoTxPollock
12-03-2007, 11:20
My old dually, never had any spring slap, but I only put 75,000 miles on it before I traded it for a Duramax.
I just went out and looked at my 2500HD and its got round pads at the end of the spring one each end they mount in a hole. Check to see if yours are missing, mine came from the factory with those in there so they should be available from GM.

chipper
12-04-2007, 15:23
I have the same thing when not towing. Towing I'm using the helpers a bit, so I don't notice the slap. Doesn't bother my wife or myself, but when someone with good hearing is on board, they always say whats that noise? (What noise!!)
I'd like to look into those rubber caps. Wonder how long they will last?

Mine have about 45K on them & they still look like new.