PDA

View Full Version : Roadranger tranny

dandy2
12-01-2007, 09:00
Does anyone know if the milege gets better with the recent Fuller Automated Mechanical Transmition?

Tractor
12-01-2007, 19:01
Are you talking about the Auto-Shift tranny. It still has a clutch but you can use the manual mod or the auto mode. Clutch is only used when you start from a dead stop.

TRACTOR

dandy2
12-01-2007, 19:08
I understood the old ones had a clutch but it was ade into an automatic. Can you verify which it is? How durable is it? Is it efficient?
Thanks

Tractor
12-01-2007, 20:43
dandy2
Don,t know if we are on the same page or not, but the eaton-fuller ultra shift is a new trany put in the big rigs. I have used the 10 speed but some outfits have the 18 speed auto shift that pulls as big of loads that a truck engine can handle. We have found the engine determines what kind of milage you get along with the rear end ratio. Ours are programmed to shift at low rpm,s. If you are on the manual side you decide when you what to up shift such as from 6 to 7th gear. But when you go down in gears the computer won,t let you shift to soon, down about 12 to 1300 rpm before it shifts from 7 to 6th gear. We have had a little trouble with them, once in a while they will upshift more then one gear. I,am sure they are tough, supposed to be efficent. Easy to drive all of our new 10 yard trucks have them..... But I myself like the manual 13 speed, our transport trucks all have manual 13 speeds 18 would be better. I almost enjoy Loading up a new broken down Mercedes Benz diesel on the CAT engine transport and hauling it down the road in 13th gear to get it fixed. To each his own!!!!!!
TRACTOR

dandy2
12-02-2007, 09:10
Thank you for your response. Perhaps I am not being as specific as needed. I am very curious about the possibilities offered by auto mechanical transmitions. This assumes they are effecient, durable, easy to use and affordable.

Since this is a GM Interest Site, and this extends to all MDT's it might be best for you to continue to send your ideas to me by email to dandy2@mac.com

I am grateful for all of these pieces of info. during our effort to sette on the right tow vehicle for our 16,000# 5th wheel.