PDA

View Full Version : Generating a Tach. Signal

67-72williso
12-02-2007, 11:01
What`s the best way to generate the same signal as a Chevy HEI unit .The 6.5 I`m working with is going in a 67 Chevy 4X4. Also has turbo in the back. I`m running a DB2 pump.
Thanks, Willis

HH
12-02-2007, 16:59
Not sure of the "best" way but a couple options are:

Use the signal off the alternator - there is an article in Vol.II (http://www.thedieselpage.com/62bookii.htm) about this, you can take your alternator to a rebuild shop and they can install the lead you will need.

Vacuum pump, one that mounts in the rear, with a cam position sensor
Stand alone cam position sensor that goes in the rear of the engine

You can also buy an aftermarket kit to generate the signal from the alternator you need for your tach. IIRC places like Summit have them.

DmaxMaverick
12-02-2007, 18:41
There are a few options, as pointed out, but the best option is the signal generator that mounts at the (former) rear vacuum pump location, and is driven by the oil pump rod (like GM gasser distributors). Jim posted an image and description in THIS THREAD (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=30041). It is item #7. They can be had from Peninsularengines (.com). No idea on the price. Clean OEM type install.

gmctd
12-02-2007, 20:15
That ESS\oil pump drive assy is likely not a fit with the high center-mounted turbo, if that's what you're indicating by "Also has turbo in the back" - that would be the van\Hummer setup - you'll also have trouble with the downpipe and the firewall - there's barely enuff room for the rear-mounted vacuum pump pod

DmaxMaverick
12-02-2007, 20:27
That ESS\oil pump drive assy is likely not a fit with the high center-mounted turbo, if that's what you're indicating by "Also has turbo in the back" - that would be the van\Hummer setup - you'll also have trouble with the downpipe and the firewall - there's barly enuff room for the rear-mounted vacuum pump pod

It's not the whole pod. Just a sensor/sender sticking up w/ a connector to the side (look at the pic). I think if the heat isn't an issue, it will fit OK.

TAG
12-03-2007, 17:41
My 2006 amg engine came with that sensor installed. Being as how they build engines for the military hummer, and it has a center turbo, I think there must be room for it. By the way, I could not think of any use for the thing so I threw it away.

67-72williso
12-14-2007, 19:01
Thanks for the Information. I guess I`l have to try and use the Alternator siginal. The ESS unit won`t fit under the turbo, only the flat top oil pump drive fits under it. Is there anything that works off the crank sensor in the front?
Willis