PDA

View Full Version : How do you get the coolant PILLS in the radiator?

rjwest
01-19-2006, 08:19
NO radiator cap, /// How can I get the pills in the coolant system???

jspringator
01-19-2006, 08:23
Pull off the top radiator hose and plop them in.

rjwest
01-19-2006, 13:58
OK sounds good, hope I don't loose to much coolant,
was trying to measure how much I used..

Kennedy
01-19-2006, 17:32
I put them in the surge tank. It will circulate through the system from here.

ueckebes
01-19-2006, 18:02
question, what is the purpose of these coolant pills?

charliepeterson
01-19-2006, 20:13
If your going to keep the truck these "pills" really aren't the right idea.

Kennedy
01-19-2006, 21:40
Actually the GM "Cadillac Tablets" aren't really that bad.

Barry Nave
01-20-2006, 01:06
question, what is the purpose of these coolant pills? -

rjwest,is this for a small fliud leak? or peventive messure?
I have notice on my truck I'll use up some coolent during interstate driving in about 1,000 miles. The coolent leavel never goes down other than that.

Kennedy
01-20-2006, 07:07
This was the engine with a small amount of coolant found in the oil I believe.

I've never seen a Dex Cool/aluminum radiator 6.5 engine with any appreciable corrosion. I suppose there may be some solder bloom in the heater core. but the radiators (at least what can be seen thru the necks and blocks are about as perfect as one could expect. You won't have any issues with plugging, in fact, I recommend using these tabs on a new engine install.

stingthieves
01-20-2006, 07:15
Those GM Cadillac tablets are alleged produced be BARRS STOP LEAK PRODUCTS part number is [HDC] the package contains 6 tablets. GM added 4 tabs to many or the aluminum head motors as they were assembled. I think they are great preventative maintainer item and according to the manufacturer, the product may be added on a regular basis and not build up in the system. WRONG but I still use it

trbankii
01-20-2006, 09:06
So, where do I get the pills and what do I ask for?

stingthieves
01-20-2006, 09:49
There is a whole labyrinth of stop leak snake oil out there. Patronize your local

jspringator
01-20-2006, 10:05
While we're on this topic; Hummer cracked block page (http://www.amghummer.com/Diesel/No8Cyl/CrackedBlock.htm). Scroll down for discussion of sealants.

stingthieves
01-20-2006, 10:41
and more on the subject - maybe a bit off topic

Nautilus 90 North

Signet Books, 1959 paperback Commander William Anderson of the USS Nautilus, the first atomic powered submarine, tells of the secret operation to send his submarine to the North Pole. On July 23, 1958, NAUTILUS departed Pearl Harbor, Hawaii under top secret orders to conduct "Operation Sunshine," the first crossing of the north pole by a ship. I have a copy of this book! There is a short note regarding this, his third attempt to make the crossing. The boat developed a leak in the cooling system. Not a

Kennedy
01-20-2006, 11:15
Originally posted by trbankii:
So, where do I get the pills and what do I ask for? Ask your GM dealer for a packet of cooling system seal tabs.

rjwest
01-20-2006, 15:44
John K. Thanks again , Good memory

Brave95: 0.05 % coolant in oil sample...4.5kmiles on sample. all previous samples " 0" % coolant

Concerned what caused sample to show coolant,

Thought I would put the " Pills " in the system.
Figured it could't hurt...

Went to GM parts: asked for " Pills"
Women went back to cabinet and pulled out a
package, Must be a common think to do
for GM vehicles....

History: 128K miles on engine, Runs good.
I have been having my oil sampled for the last
28K miles, ( 5 samples ) started it over concern
for " sudden death " engine problems,
Got to be a 'learning project' was quite
supprised when last sample came back with
higher Alum. wear and Coolant in Oil.

( I did push it hard for a few hours, 75 mph
with the Truck camper loaded, boost around 9 psi
post EGT 850-900, Hope I didn't toast it
Note; Tdco -1.8 )

Plan to drive it for 3k miles and resample..

Brave95, I added about 8 oz's of water for
the 4.5k trip. previously less than a few oz's
in 30k miles...

Keep you posted on results,
Anyone want copies of oil samples,,,????
qwestav dot attglobal dot net

catmandoo
01-20-2006, 18:17
my dad worked for a gm dealer back in the 40-60's and they used ground ginger,and thats all we ever used,and i believe those pills are just pressed ginger!

7.4 VORTEC
01-22-2006, 17:55
I met with Bars Leak at the Apex/SEMA show this last November just to ask the tech guys whats the best product in their lineup to use. I don't sell any type of sealants, but wanted to know whats the best system for a 6.5 TD Hummer. I originally "learned" about the pills from a Caddy STS owner who corresponds with one of the Northstar motor development engineers. These guys just love the Bars Leak pills. The same product can also be bought in powder form from Walmart in a clear tube. It's called Bars Leak Golden Seal. It actually looks a lot like dirt. In talking to the engineer at Bars Leak, it does appear that two of the major components are crushed walnut shells and ginger. The pill form is more concentrated and in my opinion easier to get into the radiator neck if its a tight squeeze.
I don't remember the exact amount, but the powder is not as dense so a little more is needed. But, in my opinion, I would not use any of the "aluminumized" type of sealants except in a dire emergency.

I use the "golden seal" product in all my cars as part of normal maintenance. I do drain and flush the coolant with distilled water every 2 years or so and add antifreeze and the bars leak golden seal. In talking about putting "too much" golden seal into the system, the engineer at Bars Leak said that unless you have other problems (clogged cooling tubes, etc), you'll never really see a problem. This is one of the things they actually tested. From talking to the engineer, many manufacturers add the pills to the cars as a normal part of the cooling system.

Bars Leak was one of the few companies at SEMA that actually had engineers working the booth to answer questions. (not just a sales guy) I was extremely happy with the engineers knowledge and the ability to answer my questions. This guy was very knowledgable regarding the problems of the 6.5 TD and Northstars Caddy motor. Within 5 days of the show, I had a complete engineering packet regarding the Bars Leak pills sent to my office. I would not have any reservations using the golden seal powder or pills. Very impressive company.

George