PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Turbo Diesel Known Problems????

7SEC1000
12-03-2007, 20:46
What Are The Known Problems With These Motors Im Hearing Some Bad Things Like They Like To Eat Cranks And The Break Rocker Arms Well I Went Thru The Rocker Arm Thing Sat 1 St Hand And It Was A Pain Being Out Of Town 4 Hrs Away Nobody Around Open To Get The Parts From .i Guess What I Want To Know Is This Something I Can Look Forward To Or Just A Freaky Thing That Happen .well Let Me Know Gents And Ladies Before I Just Sell It .thanks Again Donnie

Its A 95 Dually 4wd Crew 6.5 Turbo Diesel It Had 190,000 It The Guy I Bought It From Said He Put A New Motor In It But He Didnt Im Thinking He Did Some Head Work And Replaced The Crank Which Is What He Told Me Was Wrong With It When He Bought It (crank)

Robyn
12-03-2007, 21:24
These engines have had issues here and there. Mny run into the low 200K area before they need much.
Some broke cranks, blocks ect.
Luck of the draw. There is no one smoking gun that pops up all the time as a failure point.

I have seen a few rocker guide buttons fail which causes a mess.
I have seen a few cracked blocks (bottom end) and 1 #8 cylinder crack to water.

The issues seem to be sproradic in nature. For every one we hear about that breaks there has got to be hundreds that run a good long life.

My 94 went 237K before it blew a head gasket.
I had another 94 that had 275K on it and I sold it still running good.

If the truck is nice its worth fixing and keeping.
My 95 Dually crewcab 4x4 has 178K on it and I have owned it since june.

Good luck

Robyn

rustyk
12-03-2007, 22:01
IMHO, the main issue is to not consider the 6.5L TD as a "usual" diesel. Unlike OTR engines like one would find in tractors, which can stand abusive behavior by the operator, the 6.5L has to be treated with a bit of restraint.

EGT has to be monitored and not abused. The 130GPM cooling system helps it endure. Knowing that it is a very good machine, if one doesn't abuse it, is the first step towards a long life.

Busted
12-06-2007, 12:06
My 97 G3500 van had 255,000 mi. on it when the #5 exhaust valve cracked and dropped a piece into the chamber. Replaced both valves and the piston and the engine is back up running. I used the original rings on the new piston, as I could still see crosshatching on the cylinder walls, so that compression would be the same. i replaced both head gaskets while I was in there. Now the engine is using no oil and getting around 18-19 mpg on the highway. I have a friend who drives pilot truck (lots of highway miles) and got 491,000mi without going into the engine at all on his 97 K2500HD. Even then it was just a broken glowplug that fell into the chamber--they pulled it out, put the engine back together, and kept going.

john8662
12-06-2007, 16:21
I needed some humor today, issues, LMAO.

J

7SEC1000
12-06-2007, 20:25
I needed some humor today, issues, LMAO.

J

what is that supposed to mean i ask a question and you joke about it wtf???

grape
12-07-2007, 21:05
this is common...............

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x199/grape09/kaboom.jpg

Robyn
12-07-2007, 21:47
I am going to venture a guess that the driver of that "Funny" needed a change of shorts shorty after that conflagration got under way.
Possibly may have needed to have the seat cushion extracted from his, ah well you know. :D

Glad the 6.5's dont do that.

Robyn

DmaxMaverick
12-07-2007, 22:52
Ooh! I hate when that happens. Why...just the other day.....