PDA

View Full Version : 2004 LLY #7 injector went bad and the dealership wants $1350 to make it right!

NWRed
12-04-2007, 07:20
I bought a stock 04 Dmax with 75K miles on it last Feb. No mods done to it that Im aware of. In August I had the "water in fuel" message/CE light come on and the truck went into limp mode 400 miles from home.
I parked it at a dealership a couple miles up the freeway. The next day they diagnosed that it musta been bad fuel and that I needed the 100K service at 103K :D The tech said that the there was an issue with the #7 injector pigtail and gave me a copy of the service bulletin. He said mine appeared fine and that they didnt have one in stock and couldn't get one for a couple days so unless I was going to hang out til then I shouldn't worry about it.
This last sunday night, I was driving down the freeway and the check engine light came on and went into limp mode. Parked the truck, turned it off and got out and poked around the wiring for the #7 injector an it started back up just fine, get a couple miles down the freeway and it starts up again. Had it towed 55 miles to the dealer I bought it from. They told me on Monday that the #7 injector has electrically failed and I kept badgering the rep about what causes this, i.e. the original pigtail design, which he said is probably the cause. He said my total without the pigtail kit was going to be $1100 and after figureing out that I probably want/need the upgraded kit to prevent this from happening , added $250.
What I wold like to know is, has anyone gotten GM to replace an injector and the pigtail kit in their LLY due to this design flaw? I talked to a GM customer service rep over the phone and through his heavy accent, I was able to figure out that GM didnt wanna fix it. They were "very sorry to hear about my unfortunate problem".
I figure if I have to pay for this I'm going to be real tempted to trade it in on something with a no bull**** warranty. The bulletin for the pigtail upgrade is dated March of 06, so they've known about this problem longer then that if that if they had a fix and a bulletin available.
Anyone one been down this road with GM before and have any advice?

OC_DMAX
12-04-2007, 13:43
I would work to repair the injector harness first. Injector #2 and #7 are affected by the defect in the harness design. Then proceed to replacing the actual injector. Just my opinion.

Try using Google to search on "LLY Injector Harness Repair"

AVEX
12-04-2007, 21:52
I just got mine back 2 months ago. I lost mine about 400 miles from home on a Friday night. I pulled into the closest shop and they told me that I needed a fuel filter. After it was replaced there was no change and they told me I had dumped an injector. I limped it to the closest Autozone and they told me that the #7 injector or harness was bad. I limped it home and drove it to the dealership on Monday morning. They called me on Tuesday afternoon to come and pick it up. NO CHARGE! The truck had around 50k on it. It is a 2005. They told me that the injectors had a 200k mile warranty. So I hope this helps.

AVEX
12-04-2007, 21:53
Oh yeah, mine was not the injector it was the pigtail.

carco
12-09-2007, 13:44
#2 & 7 inj harness!! most likely! Do this first lot quicker, lot cheaper, befor trying expensive injector. Mine was harness.

Duramaster
12-09-2007, 13:58
The injector harness kit only sells for about $250 I do believe. The labor is only about an hour. If you can work a pair of wire strippers and a wire crimper and a 12 mm socket................. well then you can do it yourself!!!

;);););)

rob from bc canada
12-09-2007, 20:21
There is a DIY fix for this posted on another forum using an icepick and a few minutes to poke through the connector and nothing else.

Lots of guys have done it, and driven thousands of miles after with no further trouble. It seems to re-establish good metal to metal contact within the connector.

Hope it's OK to post the link here:

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142114

Mine did it at 30,000 miles, and in absence of the above-noted icepick and instructions, I wired in a new connector that I bought just before closing on a friday night, and drove it that way til my next regular service, and then they did the full warranty repair on it.

madmatt
12-11-2007, 11:47
I've done the "icepick fix" on several out of warranty trucks successfuly.

mark45678
12-12-2007, 17:17
I fell victum to the lly failed injector one time, failed harness twice ... The last two times it had over 36,000 mile on it so the dealer made me pay for my rental and $100 deductable and the tow...... after the second time of dishing out $600.00 + for repairs 34 days apart that truck was traded in 3 days after the repairs where compleated. I will be damed if I am making payments on a truck that cost me money like that every few weeks! I then end I think they fixed the problem but this was back in late 2005 just before the bullitin came out. I really liked that truck and the deal GM offered at the time was almost to good to be true , but I am just as happy with the 2006 lbz.