PDA

View Full Version : Very Noisy 6.5L turbo + Loud "stop watch" clicking sound

ealemany
12-04-2007, 12:21
:)
Hi

I just bought a 1998 1500 suburban 4x4 with 140 K miles over the internet in Texas.
A truck company brought it over here in San Jose California.

When i started the truck it was very very loud. My wife standing next to me
could not here me talking. When i took it for a spin around the block
i think that i woke up the whole neighborhood !!!!
Is there something wrong with the engine being so loud - Really loud!.

Also, when i stopped the engine i could here a somewhat loud "stop watch" sound for few seconds (5 to 8 seconds) can it be the lift pump and the oil pressure switch ????
Before starting the engine the "wait to start" light in the dash board kept going on and off (not exactly blinking) but on for 2 seconds ....off for 1 seconds .....and on for 2 seconds etc...

Before i use it as my commute vehicle i am going to change all the fluids and filters. I am also planning to change the Lift pump and the Oil Pressure Relay and then later the glow plugs (with its condensator unit)

Thank you in advance for any comments and tips.

Cheers

Eric

DennisG01
12-04-2007, 13:14
The ticking sound could very well be the lift pump - it will run both before you start the engine (key on, waiting for plugs) and usually for a few seconds (maybe a bit longer) after you shut it down. Yes, it will loud when it's cold (weather or engine). Once the engine is warm it will quiet down a bit.

Someone else please verify, but I *think* the OPS is not much of an issue with a 1998.

Robyn
12-04-2007, 14:38
The 6.5 can be fairly loud when its cold.
The ops is not an issue on the laqter trucks as the fuel lift pump control was transfered to ECM control.
The clicking sound after shutdown is the lift pump working most likely.

The glow light should stay on for about 5-10 seconds when you first turn the key on and after the truck starts may cycle on and off a few times.
If it is not staying on steady when the key is first turned on the Glow Plug controller is most likely hinky.

Robyn

ealemany
12-04-2007, 15:37
Thank you both DennysG01 and Robyn for helping me getting used to my new truck.
So, then maybe i do not have to change the lift pump and the OPS at all !!
I will keep them in stock in my garage just incase.

What is ECM - you are saying that the lift pump on later models is controlled by ECM - can you tell me what is it ? - thank you.

Thank you again for your great support.

Robyn
12-04-2007, 15:56
The ECM is the main computer that behind the glove box.

HH
12-04-2007, 17:35
ECM stand for Electronic Control Module, aka computer.

ealemany
12-04-2007, 22:13
Hi Gentlemen

Thank you very much for you quick reply and great info.

as i said Monday i am taking the truck in for all the fluids and filters change.
Is there anything else i should look into or have it changed before i start using this great truck for family trip ?

Thanks again for your great tips

Cheers

Eric