PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Connector Treatment (Protection)

Stratosurfer
12-05-2007, 05:49
All,
I am having 'Gremlin' troubles. Such as a trip to S. Texas, 2 days of parked in the rain and the Tahoe starts up and goes into Limp Mode w/CE light Illuminated. Drive 10 miles in Limp Mode, pull over, shutdown and wiggle FSD connector (mounted centerline behind front bumper: out of rain) pull it off and inspect it: it is clean. Start back up and I'm back to normal functioning. A few more stops and the CE light goes out. This has happened before. IP is OEM new 7 mos ago under warranty.
I am convinced that I need to begin an aggressive program of pulling all Electronic Engine function connectors and cleaning and then applying protectant.
For cleaning connectors I have always used CRC electronic connector contact cleaner which works great. What about protecting the connectors after cleaning. I have used dielectric grease in the past but wonder if anyone has a better suggestion.
I believe as these 6.5's stay on the road longer and the known problems are cleared up:FSD, lift pump/relay ect. that the next 10 years will we will all be challenged by electronic connector/broken wire problems.
Thanks in advance.

Robyn
12-05-2007, 08:38
Have you pulled up the codes to see what the thing is bellyaching about??

Do this and lets see if maybe we can narrow down the search area some.

The PMD having a bad connection will not usually do what you describe.

There may be other connection issues such as battery gounds.
Check the codes and let go from there.

Robyn

DmaxMaverick
12-05-2007, 09:12
And....

CRC contact cleaner and dielectric grease is the right way to protect the connectors from moisture and corrosion. That's what I've been doing for years and it works very well.

Kenneth
12-05-2007, 11:48
CRC works great! we use it on all our electrical connections that give us trouble on our almond harvesting equipment. We get a lot of dirt and other crap into some electrical connections and a little CRC cleaner most of the time is all the connection needs. Works great.

Stratosurfer
12-05-2007, 16:13
Have you pulled up the codes to see what the thing is bellyaching about??
I cleared the code but am sure it was P0256, Diesel ingnition timing. I reviewing other threads I believe my problem lies on the connector to the Optical Sensor and or Crank Trigger sensor. I plan on pulling the intake plenum and pulling these connectors for cleaning and dielectric greasing.
I know the connector to the FSD was probably not the issue, most likely after the engine got up to heat it cook/blew any moisture bridging an electronic connector lead.
Sooooo... can anyone think of any other connectors I need to look at when these 6.5's lose thier timing??
THX

Stratosurfer
12-05-2007, 16:15
Oh yes. Just impeccably cleaned four battery terminals and two battery grounds about 3 weeks ago.

Stratosurfer
12-05-2007, 16:28
Took me a while to find another thread, it threw code P0251.

Robyn
12-05-2007, 18:02
Thye P0251 would lead me to suspect the IP has some internal issues.

The code references pump cam system issues.

The culprit could be a connector but very well may be internal to the IP

Good luck

Robyn

DA BIG ONE
12-06-2007, 04:35
Suspect if wiring is ok optic sensor at IP might be bad, or the IP cam ring has a mechanical failure.

I had to change out my IP because of this code P0251 which was cam ring failure, IP had lower than average mileage when failure happened I'm thinking the low sulfer fuel has all to do with failure.

I now use 2 cycle @ min 1 oz. per gal diesel fuel runs smoother and better than w/cetane booster.

Anyway Good luck!