PDA

View Full Version : Transplanted across the pond!!

discovery
12-06-2007, 10:15
Hi,

Been after one of these for years, it was a popular transplant in the late 90's, get rid of the 2.5ltr 4 pot diesel and install a proper one...

Runs with a 3' stainless steel exhaust with one powerflow muffler so sounds awsome....

What do ya think???

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/medium/30112007035.jpg

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/medium/Untitled-3.jpg

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/medium/Untitled-2.jpg

Pete

trbankii
12-06-2007, 11:24
I'm assuming a 6.2? Or NA 6.5?

Looks like a pretty clean install. Any more details?

[edit] Oops... Sorry, read your sig line after posting...

arveetek
12-06-2007, 14:00
Very cool!

Looks like a really nice retrofit. Very clean. Doesn't look out of place at all.

Casey

trbankii
12-06-2007, 17:15
From your other post, it sounds like you only acquired this recently and someone else did the conversion. However, post what details you can in the conversion forum: http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58

I'm really impressed at how "factory" it looks - my boss had one of those "Discos" and I know that engine bay isn't exactly huge...

Robyn
12-07-2007, 09:03
Seems that the little 6.2/6.5 engines find their way into a lot of interesting little homes.

What tranny/Tcase is behind the little diesel rat?

Nice looking truck.

Robyn

john8662
12-07-2007, 10:58
I think the 379 CI logo on the rear door is a dead give away that it's a 6.2L.

discovery
12-07-2007, 13:39
Hi,

Thanks for the comments, glad you all like it, it is a 6.2 of unknown year, it has "V" belts and no EGR so an early one, just had one new head, new piston rings and a general overhall

Adapter plate mades it to a ZF 4HP22 4-speed autobox, with a 1800rpm stall converter, with lock up.

It has a Borg Warner chain-driven transfer box, incorporating a viscous differential lock with a high range ratio of 1.206:1 and a low range of 3.244:1

It is permenant 4 wheel drive and runs through 3.54:1 diffs.

Tyres are 225/75/16 on color matched Range Rover alloys.

Runs at about 2100rpm at 70mph and at that speed does about 28mpg (thats english gallons so a little less for US gallons)

Its 0-60mph is about 10.5 secs, gets to 90mph+ with ease.

Has uprated front coil springs to handle the extra weight of the engine.

The air cleaner is from a Mercedes V8, heavily modified to sit low over the intake, the alternator and power steering are the original Land Rover held on with fabricated mounts, the viscous fan has been removed and replaced with an electric fan, running from a sensor tapped into the rear of the inlet manifold, new high capacity radiator, 83*c thermostat. Cast exhaust manifolds into modified Land Rover V8 down pipes, then 2 into 1 stainless through a center powerflow box, then back into 2 3inch tail pipes. Electric lift pump with manual primer, rear and front filters. Twin 12volt batteries.

This is a base model Discovery so has cloth seats, no air con or cruise, no airbags, so it is in the "keep it simple" bracket and hopefully will not have too much go wrong with it.

Drives very well, feels stock, transmission is snatch free, pulls well and changes smoothly, has discs all round, vented at the front, so stops with no fuss, all in all a great truck, it has the performance of the 3.9 V8 petrol (14mpg 11secs 0-60) with the economy of the 2.5 turbo diesel (27mpg but 17.5sec 0-60)

Anyone want to know any more then let me know

The reason for 379ci on the boot and not 6.2 is that over here it is getting difficult to drive any 4X4 without it getting damaged whilst parked because of how environmentally UNfriendly it is, if I put 6.2 on the boot it would be impossible to drive it anywhere without getting lynched...... Most people don't know what 379ci is... they think its a model number...

Pete

P.s. I will put all this in the conversion forum as well

DA BIG ONE
12-08-2007, 01:15
That autobox is what Volvo used in most of the US/CAN non turbo 700 series cars up to the mid 80's. As they become few and far between many convert to the AW 70 ot 71 which has a bell housing that can be changed out for volvo turbos and toyota turbo supercars. The AW 72 w/lockup is a nice box w/gear ratios like the widebox GM700r4.

Sorry to go off on trannies here but the ZF brought back memories