PDA

View Full Version : Now I've Done It Or, Have I?

joe bleaux
12-06-2007, 18:56
Folks, I recently got a 1998, 2500, 6.5td.

I saw a tiny bit of run-out or wobble in the harmonic balancer and/or pulley. So, I ordered them from Rockauto and they are Dorman brand. I cannot tell where the pulley was made but the balancer was made in China.

I have indirectly heard of some bad things about balancers from other countries and I am nervous.

Now, I have the parts but am concerned about installing foreign-made in such a critical application. I am cheap and that is why I didn't go OEM.

What say?

Thanks.

Joe

More Power
12-08-2007, 00:30
Since no one has chimed in....

My recommendation is to stay with OEM. Like most non-OEM (and especially unauthorized) manufactured items, we'll never know the engineering details involved with non-OEM parts - especially parts that are critical to engine survival. Did they balance the part correctly? Did they use the correct durometer elastomer? Is the damper to crank fit correct? Is the keyway in the right location? We wonder sometimes about whether the manufacturers care about 6.5 owners. We can call AM General if we felt it necessary. Some here have.

Yes, it looks like a Rolex on the outside, but does it on the inside? :confused:

Jim

Hubert
12-08-2007, 06:10
Here is my take on parts.

I agree for the big stuff I try and buy OE spec or better. But it does not have to be from dealer or have AC Delco on the box.

For example I would buy a FluidDamper w/o concern for the 6.5 and they were not OEM. But I would hesitate to buy a major engine component from a discount supplier of unknown quality.

Personally I like NAPA and Carquest as they will say if parts meet OE spec. or better. I will and have bought from Rockauto and others on lesser important parts. But if it does not specifically say meets OE specs for this part I wouldn't recommend it either.

Not the best example of NAPA but here is what they says on this part. If RockAuto doesn't at least say something similar skip it.

"Attributes:
Features & Benefits:Duplicates Original Equipment in Fit & Function"

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=BK&PartNumber=6005328&Description=Harmonic+Balancer+Assy

Robyn
12-08-2007, 09:47
I will offer my 2 cents worth.

I would not be real cozy with a foriegn made damper on a 6.5
I have used the Heads from Clearwater (China me thinks) and are very happy.
I would definately use a crank from scat in a heartbeat.

The damper as has been mentioned is very critical and I would personally not do it.

The fluid damper really looks like a grand piece for sure.

Good luck

Robyn

Mark Rinker
12-08-2007, 13:37
NAPA has been riding on this reputation for awhile. However, lots of import parts. Same problem.

For the dampner, I'd go OEM or Fluid-dampner, in that order.

I won't use NAPA brake parts anymore on 2500/3500 trucks after a recent experience where the pads literally cracked and disintegrated, and the rotors warped and delaminated. Similar reports from others on here.

joe bleaux
12-11-2007, 20:03
Thanks, everyone, for you comments.

I know that I ask for opinions and may or may not follow your suggestions but they really do help.

Below, is an URL about the Dorman harmonic dampener.

Due to the fact(?) that they claim OEM quality, I am going to chance it. I will keep a good eye on it and it really isn't difficult to change, should I see a developing problem.

http://www.rbinc.com/documents4rb/HarmonicBalancersTechTalk05-2005.pdf

Soon, I will post a few pictures of my harmonic balancer at 210k miles. I think it they will be very enlightening.

I am so glad that I found this board or I wouldn't know to inspect the harmonic balancer.

Joe

Hubert
12-11-2007, 20:27
Yeah Mark is right Napa and other suppliers are all the time going with cheaper vendors.

I was disappointed in verbage on the Napa site for this part.

Be leary of meets OE quality and meets OE fit and function. That is marketing hype it is not the same as saying they are meeting the OE specifications.

I thought Napa use to say they met or exceeded OE Specifications. Probably depends on the part today.

joe bleaux
12-11-2007, 20:49
Hubert,

This is not NAPA but, rather Dorman verbiage from RockAuto.

Yes, I realize that OEM quality is not the same as OEM specs.

I did call some local auto parts houses (national chains) and they said that their harmonic balancers are Dorman.

Joe

Yeah Mark is right Napa and other suppliers are all the time going with cheaper vendors.

I was disappointed in verbage on the Napa site for this part.

Be leary of meets OE quality and meets OE fit and function. That is marketing hype it is not the same as saying they are meeting the OE specifications.

I thought Napa use to say they met or exceeded OE Specifications. Probably depends on the part today.