PDA

View Full Version : longer starting sequence

rickstrk
12-07-2007, 11:38
Newbie's first post. I'm sure but I think the cranks went from 2-3 to 4-5 seconds:o. Never noticed this the last 3 or 4 winter and in the NW we don't get cold maybe 35F. I have had it in 20F deg. before and haven't noticed a longer cranking before. Is this telling me something:confused:? On a side note I put in Walmart's 5W 40 Rotella synthetic in last May then 5K later after another oil change I noted the mileage went from 14-16 norm to 20-22:). Is this possible? Never got more than 17mpg for the first 70K. Love the tranny and the trucks great too:D!
03 2500HD 4x4 Xcab long box Allison

Duramaster
12-07-2007, 13:32
How is your power? Does this have an extended crank all the time? Or when hot/ cold? Is the SES light on when driving? Have you had it into a dealer to have the ECM scanned for codes? Or wait! I keep forgetting this one...... How is the cranking speed? Meaning are the batteries ok?

CrashTestDummy
12-07-2007, 13:56
Yeah, are the batteries good? How old? The factory ones last about 3.5 years, if you are lucky. Usually, as they start to go (usually one at a time), the starter will drag a little as it is turning the engine over. After that, if it is in the evening, the lights will be dimmer before the alternator kicks in.

Check the batteries (and connections) and if one is bad, replace them both.

The change in fuel formulation from summer to winter blend could be an issue with starting. You should have noticed the change in mileage with the first oil change, if that was what did it. And yes, 20's is quite possible. I get mad when our '02 doesn't return 20+ MPG unloaded.

Gene Beaird,
'02 C2500HD D/A
Pearland, Texas

rickstrk
12-08-2007, 00:18
replace stock batteries a year and a half age, they went from good to dead in lest than 4 hours. Cold, no SES, crank speed good, Don't think the I need a dealer yet. Don't want to chase a ghost. I'll keep a ear our for anymore change. Thanks for ideas.:o

jbplock
12-08-2007, 07:08
...On a side note I put in Walmart's 5W 40 Rotella synthetic in last May then 5K later after another oil change I noted the mileage went from 14-16 norm to 20-22:). Is this possible? Never got more than 17mpg for the first 70K. Love the tranny and the trucks great too:D!
03 2500HD 4x4 Xcab long box Allison

Rick,

Are you hand calculating the mileage or going by the DIC? With my 03 at 77k I average 17.5 mpg for combination highway/city driving and 19.5 on long trips (20 when speed is under 65mph). Mileage also drops 1-2 mpg in the fall/winter months depending on winter fuel mix and temperature. However, on highway trips when actual hand calculated mileage is 19mpg, the DIC will read 22-23 MPG. For combo driving with actuals of 17.5 mpg, the DIC will read 19.5 mpg.. When the truck was new the spread was smaller with the DIC higher by only 1 mpg or less. My balance rates have also creeped up with one injector near the spec limit. I’ve often wondered if there was a correlation between the increasingly optimistic DIC mpg readings and injector performance (i.e. balance rates and/or fuel return rates) . Also, as others report, the truck is not as quiet as when new though it stil runs great.

:)

carco
12-09-2007, 13:33
Maybe lost a glow plug??

rickstrk
12-10-2007, 11:55
Should I get a code if a glow goes out? Don't have a DIC all mpg hand calc. I guess mpg is normal at 10-11mpg towing 20k gross and 15-17mpg all around.
I'm sure things are fine I just like to worry. Rick

DmaxMaverick
12-10-2007, 15:11
A bad GP will trigger the SES and set P0381 (as will a bad intake heater or its relay).