PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 runs for 4 seconds then quits

12-07-2007, 11:48
My 94 6.5 TD has just over 100k and is a creampuff that is only used for towing my little travel trailer in the summer. In the winter I drive it once a month. Yesterday I went out for my monthly drive and turned on the ignition. Glow plugs on for proper time, fired right up But only ran 4 seconds.
Key on again, glow plug on...... fires right up ..beautify..
4 secs later instant death. Then third try nothing. Cranks but not even a hint of a try to run. Where should I start. Oil pressure sender? Any other ideas?? Gelling? PMD? It has not been that cold mabey 30 degrees average.

Thanks in advance
Mark

Or point me to articles that may Help

Robyn
12-07-2007, 12:57
Welcome to TDP

Make sure the fuel lift pump is operating.
The little black plastic junction box over by the AC unit houses the fuse and stuff for the lift pump.
On the far RH side is a little plug looking device that has the fuse for the lift pump.
Unsnap the fuse assembly and then slide it down and out of the little holder.
The fuse has a little slot in the top that is bare, touch this to the large stud . The lift pump should start working when you do this.
If the pump does not start pulsing there is a problem.

The lift pump is on the inside of the frame rail right under the drivers seat area.

If the pump works then you need to see if it is pumping fuel through.
Check the filter to see if it has issues.
With the lift pump working fuel should come out the little bleeder on top of the filter when it is opened.

Now if you are getting fuel to the filter remove the fuel feed line at the top of the IP and see if you get fuel there when the lift pump is activated.

If you have fuel there then you need to make sure that the lift pump activates when the Ign switch is turned to the start position.

The lift pump is supposed to run contantly with the engine running.

If all this stuff seems in Order then the issue is elsewhere.

Did the SES light pop on?? if you dont know then try and get any codes from the computer.
You can do this by connecting the two upper RH pins on the ALDL connector thats right under the steering wheel on the edge of the dash.
Once these pins are connected (use a paper clip) turn on the Ign to run position only with the engine off. Watch the ses light. It will flash a series of flashes followed by a short pause then another series, then it will repeat.

Example 1 flash PAUSE then 2 flashes this is 12 and means the system is OK.

If the system shows a 12 I am suspicious of the PMD
The fuel shutoff solenoid is also a possibility too.
This is the little round unit that stands up on the top front of the IP.

If you have fuel to the IP then try unscrewing one of the easy to get to injector lines at the injector and crank the engine, if no fuel comes out then it points to a fuel dilievery problem with the IP.
This can be the PMD (little black box on the LH side of the IP) or other issues.

The fuel filter and lift pump are the first things to look at with this sort of issue.

Check this stuff out and let us know.

Robyn

12-07-2007, 14:33
After it quit the last attempt, I left the key on and could hear the lift pump running for a few seconds so I have to assume its ok. But I will start checking the other things. new fuel filter 1000 mile ago

12-08-2007, 19:51
thanks for the help
It was gelling and I fixed the fuel
Mark

Robyn
12-08-2007, 20:40
Glad you got it fixed.
Are you running a biodiesel?? The temps you spoke of should not be cold enough to bother the ULSD. Generally the regular summer blend of ULSD will work to about 20F maybe a little less without any issues.
The bio stuff and the blends can reach the cloud point far sooner than regular ULSD.

Good to hear it was a simple issue.

Best

Robyn