PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 power into a Land Rover Discovery

discovery
12-07-2007, 13:52
Hi,

Put some pics in the photo forum and was asked to put more info here so here goes

1995 Land Rover Discovery UK spec right hand drive originally had 2.5 TDi

It has a 6.2 of unknown year, it has "V" belts and no EGR so an early one, just had one new head, new piston rings and a general overhall

Adapter plate mates it to a ZF 4HP22 4-speed autobox, with a 1800rpm stall converter, with lock up.

It has a Borg Warner chain-driven transfer box, incorporating a viscous differential lock with a high range ratio of 1.206:1 and a low range of 3.244:1

It is permenant 4 wheel drive and runs through 3.54:1 diffs.

Tyres are 225/75/16 on color matched Range Rover alloys.

Runs at about 2100rpm at 70mph and at that speed does about 28mpg (thats english gallons so a little less for US gallons)

Its 0-60mph is about 10.5 secs, gets to 90mph+ with ease.

Has uprated front coil springs to handle the extra weight of the engine.

The air cleaner is from a Mercedes V8, heavily modified to sit low over the intake, the alternator and power steering are the original Land Rover held on with fabricated mounts, the viscous fan has been removed and replaced with an electric fan, running from a sensor tapped into the rear of the inlet manifold, new high capacity radiator, 83*c thermostat. Cast exhaust manifolds into modified Land Rover V8 down pipes, then 2 into 1 stainless through a center powerflow box, then back into 2 3inch tail pipes. Electric lift pump with manual primer, rear and front filters. Twin 12volt batteries.

This is a base model Discovery so has cloth seats, no air con or cruise, no airbags, so it is in the "keep it simple" bracket and hopefully will not have too much go wrong with it.

Drives very well, feels stock, transmission is snatch free, pulls well and changes smoothly, has discs all round, vented at the front, so stops with no fuss, all in all a great truck, it has the performance of the 3.9 V8 petrol (14mpg 11secs 0-60) with the economy of the 2.5 turbo diesel (27mpg but 17.5sec 0-60)

The reason for 379ci on the boot and not 6.2 is that over here it is getting difficult to drive any 4X4 without it getting damaged whilst parked because of how environmentally UNfriendly it is, if I put 6.2 on the boot it would be impossible to drive it anywhere without getting lynched...... Most people don't know what 379ci is... they think its a model number...

Anyone want to know any more then let me know

Pete

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/medium/30112007035.jpg

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/medium/Untitled-3.jpg

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/medium/Untitled-2.jpg

xjs53v12
12-08-2007, 08:43
Well done, I have to say you've done a superb job with the conversion. I've always wanted a Disco, now seeing that the 6.2 will fit, is all the more reason for a new toy. If I didnt know better, it came from the factory with it. Is there any room for an AC compressor? Does it drive and stop as well with all the weight in the front?

Very nice.

discovery
12-08-2007, 17:48
Hi,

Sorry can't take credit for the installation, just spent some time sorting a few probs, there is room for a compressor, I have heard others moan about the weight of this engine in a Land Rover, I have owned and driven loads of them with all the original spread of engines and can say this does not feel front heavy at all, the springs are well matched for the weight, it sits level, the shocks are original and it doesn't dip or sqirm under braking either lightly or hard. The ride feels the same. This Disco has had new suspension bushed throughout (normal bushes not polybush) and feel very taught and up together, when it stops raining here I will take some more pics and add them

Pete

journeyman
12-08-2007, 21:30
Looks nice. A lot of work (lucky you... bought it that way).

Do you have a transmission temperature gauge? I would HIGHLY recommend it. With the extra torque, you could easily overheat the transmission fluid.

discovery
12-09-2007, 15:10
Hi, There is no gauge for the tranny but it is running through two coolers, one separate one in front of the rad and one in the end of the rad so should be ok... they use the same transmission with a 4.6 V8 petrol that produces the same torque, all be it a lot higher up the rev range so it should be man enough for the job....

This engine in the Land Rover had a reputation over here of destroying axles and snapping half shafts all day long... but this was with a manual box, the torque was just to "all at once" for the poor little axles...

The torque convertor and auto box help this as the sudden rush of torque is damped by them and everything seems to last well. This conversion was originally carried out on the truck in 1999 and there have been no breakages of transmission parts that I can find out from the last two owners in about 4 years. The only failure in the truck has been a cracked cylinder head that resulted in a boil over, it recently had one new head and the other reconditioned, along with new rings and injectors.

Anyway just found out I may have to sell it as we are moving and I have been informed by "her who must be obeyed" that I will have to slim the fleet down, this one is just a toy so will be first to go.... Now where can I hide it so the boss won't find it!!!!

Pete

highfructosecornsyrp
08-08-2010, 21:30
What kind of springs did you use to hold the front up?

What kind of radiator did you use? Upgraded water pump or dual thermostats?

Were there any body modifications to make the engine fit?

Did you fabricate your motor mounts or buy a kit? What kind of kit?

highfructosecornsyrp
08-27-2010, 07:45
bump, any info on the cooling of the engine? What kind of radiator or was it custom? Upgraded water pump or auxilliary transmission coolers?

b1jetmech
08-27-2010, 18:21
Very nice swap!

That 6.2 snugs right in that engine bay.

The fuel mileage it what's also impressive.

highfructosecornsyrp
06-24-2011, 06:45
Can you give some specifics on the radiator?

What kind of sensor do you have running with the electric fan? And what size electric fan is it for that matter?