PDA

View Full Version : Servise brake system

rickstrk
12-08-2007, 00:38
Not sure of the words but every so often(1 week-3 months) I get "Service brake system" and the ABS light stays on. Shut it down and restart it goes away . Checked brakes & fluid there fine. Now here's how it started- when pulling the 5th wheel around the side of the house I was in 4x4 and spun the tires and the warning can on. This was two years ago. Two months ago I had to replace the front right wheel bearings then it didn't happen for more than a month but now the "service brake system" message is back. Doesn't affect the braking BUT sure would like to know what the problem is:confused:.

DmaxMaverick
12-08-2007, 00:49
Sounds like the left front hub may be following suit. My front bearings failed within 6 months of each other. The wheel speed sensor reluctor is integrated into the hub bearing. When the bearing fails, it throws off the tolerances of the sensor.

Mark Rinker
12-08-2007, 08:30
I have been amazed at the durability of the ABS system on these trucks. During snowplowing, there constant braking in forward and reverse, frequent brake locking, followed by immediate tire spin (...in 4HI), combined with snow and salt and guck packed into the wheels and undercarriage. All that, and I don't recall seeing one ABS error light, or maintenance issue on the Silverados since '98. None.

My wife's Pacifica (reluctor ring), Chrysler Concorde (ABS module) and two or three other F*rd passenger cars/minivans over the years have illuminated the ABS lights intermittantly in the snowy, salty, low traction months. At least one Aerostar (yes, I owned a couple back in the 90s) had the ABS light illuminated for years after we quit throwing money at the problem. (The van still came to a stop, although sometimes I prayed that it would catch on fire so I could get a new car. :) )

LIKE A ROCK!

rickstrk
12-10-2007, 12:28
DmaxMaverick, Just check the left side wheel bears and there OK but will keep an eye on it. Just a small problem. Rick

DmaxMaverick
12-10-2007, 15:02
I made the suggestion according to your location. There is a TSB that applies to the wheel speed sensors, but the problem is supposedly unique to the "salt belt" (mid west, east coast and Canada). The bulletin suggests removal of the sensor (not the hub), cleaning it, and reinstalling with grease. It's worth a try, and the price is right.

I've made this offer before, so will again....I have a pair of wheel speed sensors taken off my old bearings (they are good). If you need to replace a sensor for testing purposes, I can send one to you. Shipping is minimal compared to the cost of a new hub. I've shipped them out to another member and they were returned.

rickstrk
12-11-2007, 15:32
DmaxMaverick, Thanks for the great offer but I think I'll try your;) idea "The bulletin suggests removal of the sensor (not the hub), cleaning it, and reinstalling with grease." on the driver side and drive it for a couple months. Will update all by Feb. 2008. :)
Thanks again and see you on another post Rick