PDA

View Full Version : ECM1 Fuse Keeps Blowing

RobK
12-10-2007, 14:42
Hey guys. It's been a while since the truck has been running like a top. The truck shut down on me a couple of weeks ago on the way to work. It would crank but no start (and no glow plugs light). It turned out the ECM1 fuse had blown. In an effort to troubleshoot the cause I replaced the fuse and the darn thing fired up. At this point it will start 3 out of 4 times before it blows a fuse. Any ideas what the culprit might be? All of the harnesses "seem" to be OK. Would a bad shutoff solenoid or FSD cause this? Should I did deeper into the harness? I'd like to get to the bottom of this, but I figured I'd check with you guys for guidance. A search of the archives came up short.

Thanks!

RobK
12-11-2007, 15:48
I spent some more time with the truck today wiggling harnesses while it was running to see if I could kill it. Naturally I couldn't kill it. I moved all of the harnesses around including the ones through the firewall. Is there anything else I should be checking? I absolutely hate random problems like this.

joed
12-11-2007, 16:08
Since you mentioned having no glow plug lights, have you checked the connections (the harness plug and large lugs) and wiring to the glow plug relay? Also, I think this relay gets grounded at the common ground on rear pass. side of the intake manifold.

I think one time my dad's 95 6.5 blew the ECM fuse when messing with the glow relay.

Hope that helps.

Joe.