PDA

View Full Version : oil in turbo

bbudus
12-12-2007, 12:54
So, i replaced the wastegate portion of my turbo(piece of exhaust flange got sucked up into it, toasted the wastegate and the turbine fins). Also replaced the turbine, since that has happened I now get oil dripping out of the turbo itself. I replaced the crankcase vent, no help. I have taken all the hoses apart, made sure there were no plugs, cleaned and replaced. Still no help. Oil pressure in truck seems fine, turbo boost is not excessive, max boost is around 18-20.
Truck runs great, just going through more oil than i should, and i am tired of cleaning the garage floor and running out of cardboard.

I have noticed that at some point i dented the oil pan. Could this result in a increase of pressure? I'm stumped, any help would be great.

B

Robyn
12-12-2007, 13:08
Tell us where the oil is coming from.
The oil feed goes into the center of the "Cartridge" and is distibuted to to bronze bushing that supports the turbine shaft.

Once the oil is through the bearing is is sealed from leaving the housing on both ends of the shaft by little rings that look not all that unlike a piston ring.

The oil then flows out the bottom of the turbin housing and down the little steel pipe to the return housing (Old fuel pump mounting area)

The attaching point at the turbine housing has a two bolt flange with a little oval gasket between the pipe and the housing. The little pipe has a rubber connector hose at the housing on the block.

If the oil is running out of the the intake air hoses then the oil is most likely blowing over the top though the CDR valve and into the inlet air stream.

18-20 PSI is very high for a 6.5 unless you have an aftercooler/charge cooler in the system.
12 is about tops for one of these without charge cooling as the inlet air temps and resulting EGT will be too high.

Let us know more and we can go from there.

Best

Robyn

bbudus
12-12-2007, 13:22
I have never seen my EGT over a 1000, and I have dropped the hammer on the truck a few times, it just gets up goes...anyway. The oil is coming out of the turbine housing, that is why I think it is a blow by problem, doesn't seem to be coming from the inlet or the outlet. To the naked eye it looks like the oil is pooling in the housing and dripping out the bottom of it. I may need to pull the turbine assembly back out and check it again. I was hoping to avoid that.