PDA

View Full Version : Code 36

katrinekid
12-12-2007, 13:25
I have a 94, 1500, 6.5TD and reading a code 36(Injection pulse width error,long). What I would like to know is what does this really mean and what should I do about it?

Kick Ass Matt
12-13-2007, 10:29
I got BOTH 35 AND 36 on my diesel sub as well.

I'd try the following

- Check the grounds, or even REGROUND the battery to a better place
- Try to mix TC-W3 rated outboard oil (low ash) in your tank, 128:1 and run it for a bit
- Replace your fuel cap

Where in Ontario are you at?

JohnC
12-13-2007, 13:51
The PCM commands the fuel solenoid open and closed and measures the time it takes to repond. If it responds too slowly the pulse width error is set. It is important because if the PCM cannot control the solenoid it cannot control the fuel rate, and the engine can run away. If it gets too bad the PCM will drop power to the shutoff solenoid stalling the engine.

A failing PMD can cause this as can a sticky fuel solenoid.

Worry if it starts stalling...

katrinekid
12-14-2007, 03:36
Thanks guys for the input. I will see if I can replace the PCM
Matt I'm in a little town north of Huntsville called Katrine hence my nick.

Robyn
12-14-2007, 14:52
The PCM is most likely NOT the issue. The solenoids do wear out and can get sticky.

The PMD may very well be the issue. If the PMD is failing it can cause too much time with power to the solenoid as well as not enough.

I have seen failing PMD's cause a full thottle runaway and then the PCM shuts it off as was mentioned.

Before you buy a PCM and go through that mess and do a TDC learn process not to mention the $$$$$ Try a fresh/known good PMD on a remote mount.

I would be willing to bet that this is your gremlin.

Robyn