PDA

View Full Version : December Updates

More Power
12-14-2007, 20:51
Sometimes the Bulletin Board drives The Diesel Page's editorial content and sometimes the content drives the Bulletin Board. This month, a series of four articles were added to the content area of the web site that were the result of discussions here in the Bulletin Board. The content versions were expanded, with more discussion and photos that help to explain and define each of these topics, and which are now available in the Subscriber Area (http://www.thedieselpage.com/password.htm#features) of the web site.

18 to 1 Compression Ratio
Improving 6.5L Durability

The 18:1 Peninsular pistons were incorporated into our project 6.5TD engine build in late 1998. The primary advantage of a lower compression ratio (in the context of the project engine) is that a lower CR allows for more boost. More boost allows for more fuel, which means the engine will make more power, while maintaining reasonable combustion temperatures & pressures. The folks at Peninsular Diesel told me they use a lower CR for the durability advantage. This is an expanded explanation for why lowering the compression ratio improves durability and further explains what effect lowering compression might have on engine operation.

6.5 Dyno Data
What's the real story?

Knowing what to expect when buying performance products for your 6.5 should be a part of your shopping experience, and advertised power gains should be reflected by those seen during real-world tests. Though individual trucks and powertrains can produce some variability in the power they produce with a particular vendor's performance programming, the averages should reflect reality. This article is presented here to provide a historical perspective on 6.5 power going all the way back to 1997 (yes, we've been doing this a long time), and to provide a reality check for advertised performance gains.

AM General's 6.5L Diesel Engine
Identifying Genuine AMG Cylinder Blocks

The rising popularity of diesel pickups in recent years has created many new markets and new opportunities for both manufacturers and vendors. Even the 6.5L diesel has seen its popularity increase among both diesel owners and the aftermarket. This rising popularity is mostly positive, but it does have a darker side - counterfeiting... Find out how to identify genuine AM General 6.5L diesel engines and Bosch fuel injectors.

Duramax Tech
Broken Turbo Downpipe Bracket

I had the exhaust system off my '01 GMC recently and noticed that my truck's downpipe bracket had broken. Find out how to inexpensively repair this somewhat common problem.