PDA

View Full Version : rocker arm ,push rod problem

7SEC1000
12-15-2007, 21:12
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rocker arm ,push rod problem

ok hers the deal its a 95 4x4 dually crew with a 6.5 turbo diesel motor this is the second push rod in 2 weeks that has pushed through the rocker arm i havent had the truck but a month or so is this a common problem or what whats causing it to happen and should i expect this always both times it happened i was cruising at 70 mph 1 st time i was loaded 2nd time i wasnt should i replace all or just the problem one ??????

More Power
12-16-2007, 00:14
By "pushed through", what's that mean?

Otherwise, no it's not common to have a lifter/pushrod/rocker problem. I suspect your engine has an underlying issue that is causing a repeat. If the problem is due to failing nylon rocker locators, then yes, I'd replace them all.

Jim

john8662
12-16-2007, 00:34
This isn't a common problem.

I've witnessed what you're describing only on an engine that was severely over reved. It had problems with the DS4 pump that caused the engine to race out of control.

Anyways, what was the repair the first time, was the one rocker replaced or the whole shaft and rocker assembly (4 rockers one shaft)?

I'd recommend checking out the lifter, it can be removed with the heads in place, although with some patience. It'll take two pretty decent telescoping magnets and a screw driver long enough to hold it in place when re-installing (and removing the magnet's hold).

It's possible that the lifter is stuck, although, again, not common.

J

Robyn
12-16-2007, 09:19
This could happen if the pushrods are not indexed correctly.
The pushrods used in these engine have one hardened end (Ball or area close by is colored copper)

If the copper colored end is not up then the wear on the components can be dramatic and quick.

Check all the push rods to make sure the copper colored ball end is up to the rockers. If they are not make it so.
If the engine has been run with these out of proper position I would replace the lot with new ones as well as the rockers and the plastic guide buttons. If you loose a rocker and the results trash a button and the rocker shifts sideways the valve keeper can become dislodged. GAME OVER if the valve drops as this usually totals the little diesel RAT permanently.

I have never understood why the engineers did this but they did.
Most probably it was a $$$$ saving thing.

Napa and other parts stores sell replacement parts and they too will have the copper colored ball.

What happens is the soft end if run in the push rod will soon gall up and then the rapid wear will foul the oil delivery hole in the rod and the resultant condition allows the rocker socket to wear through in short order.

Give it a look see.

Robyn

7SEC1000
12-16-2007, 17:46
Thanks Robyn You Are Right About 1/3 Of Them Are Gold Side Down And All Of Those Are Wearing Out I Guess The Guy Who Rebuilt It Didnt Pay Attention When He Took It Apart I Have A New Set Coming Rods And Arms Thanks Again

More Power
12-17-2007, 11:53
The illustrated 6.2/6.5 Diesel Troubleshooting & Repair Guide (http://www.thedieselpage.com/t&rguide.htm) covers all this in detail, including how to correctly install the lifters, pushrods and rocker arms. ;)

Jim