PDA

View Full Version : Changing heads, injectors, what to watch for?

fastboat
12-16-2007, 11:27
Hello everyone,
I have been looking at this board for quite a while, and I want to thank everyone for the info and help I have found here. I have been on several boards for different vehicles I have owned, and i can honestly say this is one of the best I have come across. No fights or BS, just good honest help and overwhelming positive attitude!!!:)
As I often do, I have jumped in deep on a project I only have a moderate knowledge of and I'm researching and learning my way through it. Long story short (sort of) I was told last February I had a head gasket issue on my '94 Suburban 6.5 with 145k. Having other vehicles, but not the $2k plus the tech wanted to do the job, I parked her. Well now I have to get it done for reasons I won't bore you with and I'm in pretty deep at this point. I must say I'm pleasantly surprised with the ease of the project so far. I'm being very methodical with labels on the disassembled parts so reassembly should be OK. I bought new heads, marine injectors, glow plugs, GP controller, complete FSD heat sync with new PMD, and quality gasket sets. I'm now at the point where I'm starting to take off the exhaust manifolds and turbo. I sprayed everything down with PB Blaster and so far the driver side is coming apart with hand pressure on a box end wrench. For that I am amazed!:D Pass side with the turbo looks to be a different situation.:confused: Anyway, I'm getting long winded here so I'll try to get to my point. I've found quite a few tidbits that I wasn't 100% sure on prior to researching here and other places. RTV on the valve covers instead of gaskets, for example. So my questions are along those lines: What seemingly little things can bite me if I make assumptions? I need specifics, or a source to find them myself. I know about the head bolts, and I have access to the recommended torques (I already installed the new marine injectors at 50 ft/lbs for example). I'm really picky about this stuff, so if I someone thinks I should torque glow plugs but no source is telling me to, that's the kind of info I'm looking for. What bolts should get thread lock, or not if it is important to that particular assembly? I have cleaned everything in a parts washer, including the new heads which had a surprising level of "grit" inside the passages.
What is the best way to access the four bolts under the turbo, and the pass side exhaust bolts? Whay can I do or should I not do, to clean/ maintain/ inspect the turbo while it is off? Do I have to put the glow plug wires back on the same cylinders? My first thought would be no, but again this is uncharted territory for me. Lastly, the question that I'm most afraid to ask, but have to: How far should I go? Not sure I want to get into the cooling upgrade and gear drive timing set, but I also don't want to be in this deep again anytime soon. IP has a date of 2001 on it, so I think I'm good there for a few more years. Just so you know, the truck lead a life of leisure most of its life- garage kept in Florida and impeccably maintained by the first owner until I bought it with 110 on the clock. It has a chip upgrade (don't know which one yet) and a 4 inch exhaust, Bilstein shocks, etc. My point is I think the truck is worth this investment and maybe just a little more while I'm at it. I have continued oil changes and fuel additives, etc. The inside of the valve covers and rockers are REALLY clean- there is silver to be seen with a wipe of the finger!:D Well I'll shut up for now. Thanks very much for any help you can provide, and everyone have a great Holiday and Happy New year.:)
Dave