PDA

View Full Version : OEM air filter housing 2001 Duramax

flaptop
12-16-2007, 14:09
Bought this 2001 Duramax used. There was a K&N sticker on the air filter housing when I bought it but no K&N filter, just stock filter. My problem---I keep tearing the air filter gasket (Baldwin). I checked with the local GM dealer and he couldn't tell me for sure if the factory housing has a gasket in the cover (mine does) Is this gasket that is in the cover from the K&N, that the previous owner had in it, and that is the reason for the tearing? Trying to force too hard down on the filter? I tried to install the filter without the gasket in place, but wasn't sure I was getting a good seal so re-installed the gasket. ANYONE WITH A STOCK LB7 DURAMAX-----PLEASE SET ME STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jbplock
12-16-2007, 15:57
The factory housing has no gasket ... the gasket is part of the filter. you can use a little silicone grease on both sides of the sealing surface for a good seal ...

:)

NutNbutGMC
12-16-2007, 19:06
JB has told you right. In addition, if you have a K&N housing (if there is such a thing), you may have to go back to a stock housing for a good OEM fit. Should be easy enough to find. I think from what I recollect from reading here that the OEM filter is about as good as they get.

The gasket is indeed on the filter for that 2002 LB7 that I had.

Kennedy
12-17-2007, 17:28
No gasket on the OE filter or box. What K&N has done in the past is add a piece of single sided adhesive foam to make up for a seal that was too thin :rolleyes:. This POS migrates around, tears, etc

On my site under Tech Tips look at the air box mods for the 2001-2005 box.

flaptop
12-30-2007, 18:11
Thanks all !!!
Have removed flat gasket from housing and have been running with no problems !!