PDA

View Full Version : 1998 6.5L turbo dies when driving

ealemany
12-16-2007, 23:10
Greetings
I bought this suburban 2 weeks ago. I have changed all the fluids and all the filters as well. Then after driving the truck for 70 miles, it died on me while driving. I towed the truck to a new mechanic and he had the lift pump and the oil switch relay replaced. He also replace the glow plugs and bleed the fuel lines. I picked it up on Thursday and all was fine when i drove the truck to work (20 miles each way) for two days + 40 miles in town this week-end and this evening the truck died on me 8 times. at first i was able to drive for about 500 yards then died. I could restart the truck right away and keep on driving for 300 yards but then it will die again and this time it would not start as easy as the first time. after awhile it would die every 100 yards and will not start unless i waited at least 4 to 5 minutes, but then the truck will only drive for couple hundred yards.
I had the truck towed to my home. The truck started again and i let it run
in my driveway for about 5 minutes raving the engine between 1000 and 1500/2000 rpm nothing, the truck was just fine - i was afraid to take for a short spin around the neighborhood.
I do not know what can cause the problem. I read in the forum about FSD/PMD...can that be the problem?
Any suggestions as to what might cause this problems?
Can old batteries cause this problem.
Thank you very much for all your help.
Eric:)

Jochen Woern
12-17-2007, 07:18
Hello Eric, how are you?

I had EXACTLY the same symptoms as you describe. I as well let the truck run in the drive for a while with no problem. Took it back out on the road it would die, sometimes restart, sometimes not as easy.

For me it was the FSD/PMD, changed it and the problems were gone. These are definitely the symptoms and this is where I would start. I am almost willing to bet that this will solve your problems. I am also thinking that you did not need the new lift pump and oil switch relay.

While you change the FSD/PMD, also relocate it and move it to a "cooler" place. Down in the V of the engine is just a very bad spot for it.

Hope this will help, let us know.

ealemany
12-17-2007, 10:34
Hi Jochen

Thank you for your comment. That's what i think it is too.
I will order the FSD/PMD device from kennedy Diesel today and have my mechanic installing it.
I really hope that will fix the problem.

Eric

Jochen Woern
12-17-2007, 12:32
Hi Eric,

You are very welcome. Please let me know how it went and GOOD LUCK!

JohnC
12-18-2007, 15:24
Most likely it is the PMD, but, before you spend your money, read the "Stalling" thread at the top of this forum.