PDA

View Full Version : need your opinions

mr. monte
12-18-2007, 13:39
I'm getting ready for a EGT & BOOST gauges.

I like the overhead console gauge mount, nice and clean, but it seems like it is to far up and out of the way for easy viewing.

the "A" pillar seems like the way to go for easy viewing, just never cared for that location or look.

I have also heard about a pod that goes over the steering column but have never seen them installed there.

what are everyone thoughts here, and do you have any other sugguestions?

thank-you in advance & happy holidays :)

conway
12-18-2007, 15:43
On my 2007 classic, I went with the overhead console install. On the 2003 I went with the "A" pillar. As you noted, the "A" pillar is easy to read but the overhead is a neater more OEM appearance. I prefer the overhead for the OEM look and if I am concerned about EGTs, I just take the time to look at it more frequently.

The 2007 is a "girly man" truck, as even my wife drives it.

mr. monte
12-18-2007, 18:16
that overhead mount is a little pricey...ouch :eek:

was also looking at MSD's Dash Hawk, they are about to have a kit to add to it for EGT

my crew cab doesn't have the switch to turn off the air bag, so there is a little "cubby" hole there, does anyone make a gauge mount for there?

MikeC
12-18-2007, 18:37
mr monte,

By the time you buy the pillar and the paint, or have it painted, you are closer to the cost of the overhead mount.

I went with the overhead this time due to the switches being in it and the possibility of future needs for them.

I really like mine in the overhead console and away from the a-pillar due to me spending a great deal more time driving empty and not towing.

Mike

mr. monte
12-19-2007, 17:17
wish someone made one for here:(

I could use a combo EGT/BOOST gauge

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/9251/truckij3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

DmaxMaverick
12-19-2007, 17:26
Dakota Digital (or was it another digital gage mfg?) used to make a gage combo that fit in that location. I don't know who, if anyone, is selling them now. Kennedy used to sell them, I think.

It would be nice if someone made a combination analog gage. I think there would be a market for a single analog with both EGT and boost. Even a dual EGT would be practical, for those of us that would like to monitor both banks, but don't want separate gages. If anyone has seen one like this, let me know! You can get multiple needle air pressure gages, which are common in OTR's.

mr. monte
12-19-2007, 17:31
this is the closest one I have found so far

http://www.xtremediesel.com/ProductImages/products_6/5800.jpg

DmaxMaverick
12-19-2007, 17:50
Nice looking gage.

Anyway, the gage I was referring to is a square shaped digital, about the size of the hole you are trying to fill.

Roy W
12-19-2007, 18:20
Not liking the looks of gauges in the A-pillar, and trying to avoid the difficulty of mounting them in the overhead console, I mounted my EGT and Boost gauges in black Autometer gauge cups. The cups are fastened to the dash with two faced emblem tape and located over next to the A-pillar. Routing associated wiring, etc is easy through the gap between the dash and A-pillar trim, exiting into the fuse panel. Looks racy too!!