PDA

View Full Version : Engine light and Cruise Control

radrecon69
01-24-2006, 15:59
Ok here is the problem, a friend of mine owns a 94 K3500 and everytime the "Check engine light" comes on the cruise kick off and won't work until the engine light goes off. Now he was told that you cannot use the OBD1 to read diesel codes I don't know I never own a 6.5 with a OBD1 connector. Thanks for any help

Rick

a5150nut
01-24-2006, 19:05
You use a paper clip to short the two upper right pins in the OBD1 conector under the dash. Turn on the ignition and count the blinks of the SES light.

1, 1,2_1, 1,2 would be twelve, all clear. Any other codes stored will be what your looking for. They repeat 3 times then go to the next one and will keep reading until cleared.

And yes, the SES light will trip cruise control.

Barry Nave
01-25-2006, 02:06
Because of my code 35 issue,at times when the ses comes on the cruse will kick out but can be reset. Then there are times the ses just comes on and goes out. It likes to cycle :rolleyes:
Reading codes on the 94&95,easy but you got to know how to count :D
The member page near the bottom will show you the code numbers and what they relate to.
A first step is always keeping good grounds and power. Clean all the areas where grounds and power connect then trouble shoot the codes.
Once while towing I lost the cruse,ses light,and cruse only would reset after a key cycle.Did not check the code at the time when this happen :confused:

JohnC
01-25-2006, 08:41
This is the page Barry refers to:

ODB-I codes (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/trblcode.htm)

Barry Nave
01-25-2006, 14:42
This is the page Barry refers to:
ODB-I codes

I wish I knew how you smart guys are able to paste on a reply and show a link :confused:

bbudus
01-25-2006, 15:08
My truck was doing it right before it tripped 100k miles. Found out the PMD was bad, replaced it and put in a new EProm. Problem solved. By the way it was the eighth time the dealer had to replace the PMD, and I was on the third pump. Then I found this site and been smooth sailing since (Knock on wood).

Bbudus

tom.mcinerney
01-26-2006, 20:03
Rad-
My OBDI '95 is related, but has different wiring from '94 , i think.
Last week my 'ABS' light illuminated in transit, and soon i noticed the cruise was also dysfunctional. I confidently viewed the fuse page in the driver's manual, and noting that both cruise and ABS were on same circuit, pulled the fuse (dismayed to see fuse not blown) and cleaned contacts. No change. At next stop i released and reseated all connectors at the brake control mechanism(s) [4?], and since then both ABS and cruise have worked fine.