PDA

View Full Version : 93 6.5 Td to 97 gas swap

flboater247
12-21-2007, 06:14
I have read the article on the diesel to diesel swap. I am doing a 93 swap into a 97 gas truck. Both are auto trans. What do I need to get the gauges to work? Still have the harness from the gas motor. Do I need the computer re flashed for a diesel? I have a stand alone computer for the trans as well. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

More Power
12-21-2007, 11:58
Your 1997 throttle body uses a TPS, so you might get away with just a re-program of the original ECM (rpm shift points). Your 6.5 would need an engine speed sensor and TPS specific to the 6.5, which are offered as OEM parts for the DB2 equipped 6.5 diesel. Otherwise, the engine coolant temperature and oil pressure gauges should work when using the gas engine sensors installed in your diesel engine.

You'll need to install a hydraulic brake booster and matching master cyl, since these diesels don't generate vacuum. The hydraulic booster and master cly should work with the rest of the braking system and power steering pump.

Your throttle pedal assy will likely work with the correct diesel cable, and your existing cruise control module will work when using the diesel cable (it's easy to swap). :)

Jim

flboater247
12-21-2007, 15:34
Thanks for the info. I figured it would be pretty painless.