PDA

View Full Version : torsion bars

gmc05
12-21-2007, 13:20
does anyone know how much ride height will be gained with each turn of the torsion bars? equally does anyone know how many turns it is just to level with the rear end?

thanks gmc05

DarylB
12-21-2007, 20:10
It's probably different on every truck especially from model to model (reg, ext, crew). The driver's side is typical adjusted higher to compensate for driver weight & the gas tank being on that side.

gmc05
12-22-2007, 06:31
i believe you are right. my truck is an 05' GMC HD w/ max. i want to keep the integrity of the truck as much as possible. i dont know why GMC would do this, do you? it makes these trucks look disproportionate. i want to ask the dealer to do this but i am skeptical. any comments?
thanks gmc

mr. monte
12-22-2007, 15:36
I have had 5 of these IFS trucks since '94, each one was different, IF you do raise it some...I highly recommend a front end alignment after

I raise mine for snowplowing, and take some out in the spring, so it's level when I am towing my trailer

DarylB
12-23-2007, 09:40
i believe you are right. my truck is an 05' GMC HD w/ max. i want to keep the integrity of the truck as much as possible. i dont know why GMC would do this, do you? it makes these trucks look disproportionate. i want to ask the dealer to do this but i am skeptical. any comments?
thanks gmc

I'd take it to someone who you'd trust to do the front end alignment. Dont crank the bars too much, but you can usually get by with levelling the truck. The dealer probably won't want to crank the bars for you over recommended specs. I've had to crank the bars on my last two trucks b/c of the winch on the front causing excessive sagging. If it's a new truck usually just setting the toe-end is all they have to do after cranking the bars. My rule of thumb is that if the front bumpers are touching the lower A-arms you can safely raise it it up (which has been the case for me). I usually crank them till I gain 1-2" measured from the ground to the bottom of the fender flare while the truck is up on the alignment machine.

DA BIG ONE
12-24-2007, 04:47
There are more than a few torson bar ratings. At each rating + any additions to frt/rear weight of vehicle, the movement of the weight transfer line frt/back plays upon how many turns for increase of height?

A good alignment is required after any height adjustment be it up or down.