PDA

View Full Version : Just got 6.5 TD. What do to next?

RyanA
12-25-2007, 16:15
Just got my 1995 C3500 TD truck this week. The engine and trans are very clean with nearly no seepage at all. About the only spot it has any buildup at all is at the turbo-intake manifold coupler. I plan on replacing the coupler and the T bolt clamps with new ones when I drill and tap the "hat" for my boost gauge.

Here's what I have done so far:

Flowmaster crossover tube
3" downpipe
3.5" mandrel bent straight pipe exiting in stock location

Here's what I will be putting on in the next few days:

AutoMeter Boost and EGT gauges

I think after that, I'll fabricate my own boostmaster, relocate the PMD, get a number 9 resistor and probably buy a chip. Truck runs cool right now but I'll probably look into doing the dual stat/larger pump upgrade before it warms back up.

The truck will rarely be used to pull anything. When it is used, it will only be to pull a single car trailer with a very light car on it. What chip would you recommend to make it fun to drive on a daily basis?

xtrempickup
12-26-2007, 08:20
find a way to intercool it also, would help alot when making more horsepower. the relocation of the pmd is one of the most important things you can do and also check your oil pressure switch and lift pump make sure both are functioning properly, if the lift pump is working, you can crack the Petcock up front under the hood and you should get fuel out the hose onto the ground, if motor shuts off, then its not working and you should find out why

twaddle
12-26-2007, 08:28
Hi there,
The first thing I would do is give it a FULL service, changing all oils and filters and grease all steering, suspension and driveshafts. Also get a spare PMD just in case (I and a lot of others always carry a spare due to the unpredictability of the dang thing).

I would also recommend not spending too much money on goodies just now until you got the chance to use it and find out how reliable it is.

Have a Happy Christmas with your new toy!!! Send in a couple of pictures to let us have a look too.

Best wishes

Jim
Currently Biggar, Scootland
Due to be heading for Alberta, Canada on the 23rd of January on a one way ticket.

Robyn
12-26-2007, 08:34
Adding a #9 resistor is not going to do much. Adding a good power chip will handle the issues. The resistor is a calibration device to match the IP to the system. Just changing the resistor can cause issues that the ECM wont like.
If you buy your chip from JK or Heath they are matched to the code on the ECM and the prom and will work great at fueling and controlling the little monster.

Sonds like your having fun and this is the most important part. :D

best
Robyn

RyanA
12-26-2007, 15:02
The complete front end was redone when the drop kit was put on. New ball joints, idler arm, drag link, etc. Truck drives great and it only has 140,000 miles on it right now.

Here's a pic I took of the truck the day after I got it. This was just last week.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff249/aldersgarage/P1010059.jpg

sturgeon-phish
12-26-2007, 17:17
Since you bought a crossover pipe you may want to install the EGT probe in the crossover before you install it, rather than in the turbo manifold to go preturbo, or downpipe for post turbo temps.
Jim

Robyn
12-26-2007, 18:24
That is some great advice.
The weld bung for the probe can be inserted and welded in and any crap left over can be cleaned out so it does not fly through the turbo and rip it to shreads.

Nice looking ride

Robyn

RyanA
12-27-2007, 12:51
Crossover, down pipe, and 3.5" exhaust are already installed. All was done on Monday. I may just do post turbo and watch for max of 1000 instead of 1200 preturbo.

Going to check my lift pump by opening the valve in just a few minutes.

Ryan

JayMc
12-28-2007, 17:46
What if I open the valve and no fuel leaks out and truck keeps running. Is there something wrong or is it okay?

Chevrolet4x4s
12-28-2007, 18:35
Howdy Ryan, About what fuel milage are you getting when going easy on it,and do you know about how much the exhaust helped fuel economy?Is there a noticable power increase?Are you running an automatic or manual transmission?
Here is my plan http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showpost.php?p=227421&postcount=141

Awesome truck by the way and Welcome to The Diesel Page

Shane

xtrempickup
12-28-2007, 18:48
if the truck keeps running thats a good sign that it does have pressure up front, a dead pump will cause the motor to choke out when you crack that pet cock open more than a few seconds

RyanA
12-30-2007, 17:20
Haven't had the truck long enough to really establish what mileage I'll get. Around town with me on it to hear the exhaust, I get 13-15. On my way home from getting it, all highway driving, I got about 18. I'll update what it is after the exhaust as soon as I get a good road trip on it. Truck is auto with 4.10's.

On my truck, I had to open the valve, close it, then open it all the way to get fuel flowing to check my lift pump. All is well there.

Ryan

16gaSxS
12-31-2007, 14:01
Hi;
Before you tow much, I would pull the radiator take to shop for cleaning and clean all the trash out between A/C condensor and radiator. Change the Anti freeze. Plan to clean the area between the A/C and Radiator every spring. Helps with keeping cool. If you have cooling issues consider cooling upgrade and Kennedy Fan clutch.

RyanA
12-31-2007, 21:53
Luckily, the previous owner was just as anal as I am. He already flushed the cooling system, upgraded the fan clutch, serviced trans, and kept the oil changed with Rotella. Really, the only thing I have to do is get my rear air bag setup installed so I can pull my car trailer with the truck low without bottoming out on the C notch.

On another note, for others that have the stock "rectangle filter" airbox, an LS1 Camaro/Firebird/Trans Am filteris EXACTLY the same size. My K&N out of my Camaro SS fit right in there. Also may save a little money if people want a filter without the foam prefilter.

Ryan

shane
12-31-2007, 23:28
did you find a chip if so wht did you find and how much
i was told that their was no chip for my 95
thanks

16gaSxS
01-02-2008, 14:14
did you find a chip if so wht did you find and how much
i was told that their was no chip for my 95
thanks

Both Kennedy and Heath Diesel have chips for 1995 6.5TD. Both have happy users.

shane
01-02-2008, 16:59
thankyou ;););)