PDA

View Full Version : Biodiesel Fuel Filter 6.5TD

Stratosurfer
01-27-2006, 14:54
I am starting the bio-diesel project and wonder if anyone knows:
a) Does anyone make the stock fuel filter in a synthetic media: if so brand and part number please.
b) Is anyone running Bio-Diesel in their 6.5TD with the stock paper filter with no problems

I am going to the 'blending' single tank method of converting WVO to diesel by heating and blending a mixture of petro diesel and SVO and am warned that the WVO may swell paper element filters.
Any help appreciated.
Mark Magee
98 BurbLT 6.5 "General" 98K
97 Tahoe 6.5 USGOV "UberTrakker" 34K
mageesurfs@pipeline.com

tom.mcinerney
01-28-2006, 20:03
I hope others in BIO mode advise.

In my opinion the stock filtration of the 6.5 is functional and cleverly designed, but only marginally adequate, in the sense that there is no redundancy, and frequent chance of contamination. Strongly suggest adding a second primary filter once you find out what the BIO drivers use.

StephenA
01-29-2006, 10:19
I ran B20 in my 92 for the last 20k because the old stock IP & nozzles really wouldn't run any other way. Since they were so old, I wasn't afraid of damaging them, and the stock filter seemed to work just fine until winter arrived at 10,000 feet here in the Rockies, and then a 10% gasoline mixture was mandatory. Since replacing the nozzles and IP, I've been running regular diesel.
Hope this helps...