PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about diesel Burbs please

AJMBLAZER
12-26-2007, 21:59
So a 2 day trip downstate with two dogs and all of our assorted crap is about the max we can jam into our XL7. We figured as much but oy, it was full.

Been thinking about eventually going up to a Suburban so I figure I'll start asking questions.

Basically thinking a diesel 4x4 Suburban. Would prefer a 3/4 ton and the newer the better but it'd be hard to pass up a good shape older one (like I did last spring:().

Specs and such of the different ages?
Expected gas mileage of them?
Problems of the different ages?
Last year was '00 right?

I'm not completely unfamiliar with the IFS trucks but other than Big Ugly my experiences with the diesels has just been driving the 6.5's in box vans.

DA BIG ONE
12-26-2007, 23:21
1999 has all the desired updates to 4L80e transmission, k2500/3500 has a 9.25" ifs frt/diff which is great for most tasks and lockers can be had for them, the optional NP246 autotrac t-case is robust and can be engaged always because 3 speed sensors, 9 cluches along w/its controller will adjust as needed the 4wd, best mileage is seen w/3.42 gear sets at 65mph using stock sized tires but only factory option was 4.10 or 3.73 gear sets, remote IP driver is a must, dual ac/heat is nice feature, later HD package had no converter (cat), K2500 burb is a good truck.

JTodd
12-27-2007, 04:50
I have just such a Burb you are talking about. My 96 3/4 4x4 is just the ticket for hauling my wife, three kids, dog and all of our crap on trips across America. It is not heavily modified, about the only thing done is to straight pipe the exhaust (no muffler or cat) and relocate the PMD. The 3.73 gears gives me around 19 mpg on strictly highway driving if I keep the speed around 70-72 mph. The 43 gal tank lets me go on the plus side of 700 miles with plenty of margin. Of course kids aren't good for nearly that far. There are not many of them by comparison, but worth finding.

AJMBLAZER
12-27-2007, 05:20
How are they holding up to in their age? I mean everywhere, exterior/interior/drivetrain/suspension/etc? Seeing a lot of them with 100k+ but that appear well cared for. Likely everyone who's got a low mileage one will be sitting on it longer.
Hearing a lot about the later 6.5's having block issues?

What kind of mpg do you guys see around town?

Probably wouldn't modify it much, just reliability and good tires. The wife's 5'4" so probably nothing taller than the 285's they can fit stock. She hates getting in my pickup on 38's and 1" of lift.;)

Robyn
12-27-2007, 09:05
We have owned an 86, (2) 94's and a 95 also had a couple gassers in there too.

All 2500 series 4x4's
The 95 was new when we bought it.

The current 94 in the stable is an ebay buggy, bought it there in an auction with just pix and the mans word.

Has been great. 230K when we picked it up and the engine was original as was the tranny. Tranny still works fine. Did an overhaul at 237k because of a failed head gasket.

These rigs are great. Longevity is for sure a direct result of how the rig is cared for.

Our current 94 has 4.10 gears with the 4L80 and will do 15-16 MPG in town and 19-20 on the road.

I really love the burbs. If you can find the older burbs (late 80's to 91) with the 6.2 these will get slightly better mileage if the engine and realated fuel system is in good shape.

The older 6.2 rigs obviously dont have the power but are gret old rigs.

I bought a 91 1500 Burb a year ago october and loved the little creature but someone came along and flopped $$$$ in my face and the truck went home with them.

The Burb IMHO is the premium family rig. Durable, and adaptable to just about any and all needs. With the extra back seat option you can haul 8 people with ease. Yank out the rear seat and fold everything else flat the sucker will haul a buttload of stuff.
I have used ours to haul a full ton of baffed wood pellets for the stove.
Did this during nasty weather so the stuff would not get rained on.

I have towed with ours too. Nothing heavy, just a car hauler. Went to California to fetch up a car I bought out of boredom one night on ebay.

Little Bronco II 4x4 followed fine on the trailer all the way from LA back to the Ranch here in Newberg Ore.

Burb did 18 out on the Hwy once we got back over the Vine and into the valley.

Old girl worked great pulling the vine, was 100F and never had an issue.

There are many good things to say about the Burbs.

Myself I would snoop around and find a real late one that has some engine issues that you can get cheap. Fix it and Poof, perfect family rig and also then you know what you have in the way of a powerplant.

The Burbs were in most cases well appointed with creature comforts such as AC rear AC and a fairly good sound system right out of the box.

Some of the fleet rigs (Municipal ect) could be found that were plain Janes but the bulk of the rigs are upper class stuff.

Good luck with your quest. Auto trader.com is a great place to snoop :D

Robyn

ISEEDIT
12-27-2007, 09:20
I got into a '99 1500 4x4 6.5 turbo. It's been a pretty good rig. Started with 27k miles and currently have 159700 on it. It just hatched the front diff. I am finding out they are hard to come by in my area for this odd 1500 series. It has the 3.42 and 8 bolt hubs. Has a heater and air conditioner that are best I've ever had in any vehicle. Average 18 m/gal. Not sure I'd consider another diesel, due to diesel prices are just too high compared to gassers. Several buddies have gassers and their mileage is right up there 16 -18 also. Not sure what diff's are in theirs, but would guess it the lower end. Only other maintinane issue would be lift pumps. Seems they are good for only about 60-80k or so. That's been my experiance . . . .

AJMBLAZER
12-27-2007, 09:23
Oh, I'm already snooping. Got the bug but this isn't a purchase for sure until we move out of Michigan - hopefully mid/late '08. Road salt iz da debil!

Had to expand my AutoTrader search to the whole country to find 20 some odd diesel 4x4 Burbs.:eek: Not affraid of flying somewhere and driving home as I'm sure as heck not buying a rusty one!:mad:

I'm partial to the SFA pre 92 trucks but I think for creature comforts since she'd be driving it the 90's would be a better choice.

Thanks for the reviews so far!:cool:

Robyn
12-27-2007, 09:29
Salt SUX for sure

The IFS front ends are fine as long as your not going to BAJA the thing.
The spindles (single bearing) on the late trucks can get tweeked fairly easy if you beat them.

For a people mover trailer tower and general all around rig the later trucks are great.

I would love to find a 2000 or so and stuff a Dmax in it. Its been done and they work great but the $$$$$

I used Auto trader.com to find my 95 Dually. great resource for sure.

Look on the west coast, Cal, Ore, Wash, ID, Texas, Nev ect as the trucks will not be salt buckets.

Done the fly in thing YESSSSSSSSS a very much fun adventure buying a rig this way.

Bought two now on the fly in and drive home program

Good luck

Robyn

JTodd
12-27-2007, 10:45
How are they holding up to in their age? I mean everywhere, exterior/interior/drivetrain/suspension/etc?

Other than regular maintenance items, it is a champ. Mine has leather interior, and the driver's seat is showing wear, but 300k miles of seat time will do that. Nothing has gone wrong that after investigating should not have (I had a reoccurring front hub problem, but as soon as I figured out the cause, no more problems) I don't burn much oil. I wish I could say how much, but I have a slight leak from a valve cover, I think, so I don't know how much is burning and how much is leaking. The combined is less about a quart every 2000 miles.

One thing that impresses me every time is that with all the miles I have on it, It can sit all night in zero degree weather, unplugged, and fire right up. Barely need to crank, even at those temps. If it gets really cold, I will glow cycle it twice.

Around town mileage is around 15. I baby it in town and on the highway - I have cars for my hotrod side.

I actually got mine on eBay from a place in Canada. The high miles (200k) kept others away so I got it cheap. Since then I have put another 100k on it and anticipate alot more.

jimbucks
01-19-2008, 13:52
I have a '98 K2500 and love it. Got it at 16,000 miles an it's now pushing 190,000. As far as holding up it's been great considering how hard I push it. As for interior, I got the leather and I'm not easy on that either and the only thing that's given out if the left front corner of the driver and passenger seats from sliding in and out (lazy seeing I have side steps). Figure I'll just wait until more is needed and then just have the whole interior redone.

I'll sell you mine when GM offer the D-Max in a new one

AJMBLAZER
01-19-2008, 13:53
Might be ready for one just about then.:o