PDA

View Full Version : The best PMD to buy?

captaincrunch
12-27-2007, 18:25
Well, guys . . . . it's been a while since I've been here. That's really a good thing, means I've had NO trouble with my 96 6.5.

Well, untill today. Once again someone turns off my motor for no reason. Usually while sitting still. Been here, done this before. So the PMD is the usual suspect.

But, I see several brands of PMDs available now. Stanadyne, Dtech, etc. And looks like a new "revised" version as well.

Is there really a difference? Which seems to be the most reliable? Has the new revision really fixed the problem?

Hubert
12-28-2007, 08:31
Dtech is still relatively new to everyone. Heath is reported to sell them and Kennedy too. Those guys usually don't sell junk. Dtech is a reputable company and is fairly big. Seems several people are going to try one. And very little bad press so far.

Do a search on here and you'll see some other discussions about it.

Stanadyne if mounted on a quality heat sink in a preffered place seems to last pretty good.

Remarq was the only other supplier I have ever heard of. It was reported a while ago low voltage (really cold weather or weak batteries) will cause a no start with the unit but otherwise good reports. I don't know if low voltage issues were ever solved. Hadn't heard much about them in a long time.

Kennedy
12-28-2007, 16:25
I have a couple out there, but I'm not going to stake my reputation on a new product with no history, no performance data, and no test data. I'll do back flips if it succeeds, but I'm not rushing into things. I've also released my Kennedy Cooler which should prove to even further improve the reliability of any PMD subject to heat related failures.

Robyn
12-28-2007, 16:35
I bought a SOL D and it was fine in warm weather. Below 30F it was a crap shoot if it would start. Always carried a propane handy torch to warm the thing up and poof start every time . :eek: PITA

I am currently running a Stanadyne on that truck.
The DaHooooley recently got a Dtech.

Cant say much other than the folks at Remarq promissed me a new updated unit and I never heard from them again. They dont answer their phone any more either.

Hmmmmm not a good sign me thinks.

The cooler is the way to go though even with a factory piece.

Robyn

captaincrunch
12-29-2007, 07:49
Thanks, I've got the FSD cooler but only moved to the drivers side fender well. I know it's still getting hot there, but better than being right on the pump. I think I've only got 4' of extension and that's why it's there. I don't even remember there being a 6' available back when I bought it.

I've been meaning to add a Radio Shack computer fan to it, but just haven't gotten around to it. Maybe this will give me a little motivation.

Robyn
12-29-2007, 09:44
A 4 footer will allow you to get the PMD out of the engine bay and at least into the area behind the grill (LH battery area)

Ebay has many sellers offering 6 footers. I just got one for DaHooooley along with the DTECH unit.

Later

Robyn

a5150nut
12-29-2007, 09:55
A wire stretcher works well. Wire, solder and shrink tube.

16gaSxS
12-31-2007, 13:49
Well, guys . . . . it's been a while since I've been here. That's really a good thing, means I've had NO trouble with my 96 6.5.

Well, untill today. Once again someone turns off my motor for no reason. Usually while sitting still. Been here, done this before. So the PMD is the usual suspect.

But, I see several brands of PMDs available now. Stanadyne, Dtech, etc. And looks like a new "revised" version as well.

Is there really a difference? Which seems to be the most reliable? Has the new revision really fixed the problem?

I run A Heath, I've had it for 4 yrs and 70,000 miles with no problems, plus still have 3 years left on 7 year, free replacement part warranty. I think the warranty makes this product worth the price IMNSHO.