PDA

View Full Version : bio diesel

allformike
12-28-2007, 08:04
is there a somewhat cheap way to make bio diesel? and i heard that they sell it at some of the gas stations, i live in michigan have never seen any around. and what are the good and bad effect of bio diesel. thanks again

Dakster
01-05-2008, 10:27
What is your definition of somewhat cheap? How much is your time worth?
If you can get used cooking oil for "free" it should cost around $1.00 or so per gallon for the chemicals needed to finish the processing. Then you have to add your time, filter, HEATING, and transportation cost. Not mention you need some sort of system to process the Biod. Not trying to discourage you, just give you what I've researched and found out. Biodieselnow.com has some good info and I believe a BioDiesel locator service. It is hard to find and in MI it gets wicked cold, which means you can't run B100 in the winter.

The benefits however are great. One is that you are cutting down your dependance on foreign oil. Also it has better lubricity and higher centane. A negative is that more NOX is generated.

I suggest alot of research and reading before you delve into making it - I have only scratched the surface...