PDA

View Full Version : Thrust washer wear on gear drive

BobND
01-28-2006, 00:16
Has anyone been into a gear drive with some miles on it, and noticed thrust washer wear?

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=16&t=000814

Barry Nave
01-28-2006, 03:52
My gear has 95k. Wish there was a way of checking other than taking of the timing cover.
Wounder if this would be a issue? and what problem could be waiting to happen.
JB be willing to look on the first Power Project with the gear drive with over 100k?

JohnC
01-30-2006, 09:49
Aren't they straight cut gears? If so, there shouldn't be any significant thrust forces...

rjschoolcraft
01-30-2006, 20:09
Originally posted by JohnC:
Aren't they straight cut gears? If so, there shouldn't be any significant thrust forces... That is, if they have good control over the lead error in their manufacturing tolerances...

More Power
01-30-2006, 22:49
An engine oil analysis is one way to check for abnormal component wear.

The oil pump drive, with its helical gear set could load the cam a little, as could the injection pump drive & driven gears.

I haven't heard from any one yet who's reported any excessive wear items in the gear drive timing set.

The 6.5 Project engine is sneaking up on 200K - with a DSG gear drive.... smile.gif

Jim

Barry Nave
01-31-2006, 03:09
The 6.5 Project engine is sneaking up on 200K - with a DSG gear drive....

I have other issue to worry ;)
Thanks smile.gif

rjschoolcraft
01-31-2006, 07:38
Originally posted by More Power:
The oil pump drive, with its helical gear set could load the cam a little, as could the injection pump drive & driven gears. No could about it...These two meshes will create thrust loading on the cam. This is dealt with in the factory design, however. The thrust washer wear seen in this instance is likely due to lead error on the DSG gears themselves.

BobND
01-31-2006, 08:39
It does not appear they thought of getting any oil to the gear side of the washer, and the gear has toolmarks on it, from machining. Probably not excessive, but enough to wear the washer, when you add the lack of lube to that side.