PDA

View Full Version : Used Motor Oil as Pump Lube

Stratosurfer
01-01-2008, 10:00
All,
I've read posts from my esteemed colleagues here somewhere (could not find in numerous searches) who are using used motor oil in the diesel as DIJ pump lube. I tried this in the fleet last week and was simply amazed how much quieter and smoother both are now idling. The Tahoe is also starting faster.
My question for those doing this: what method are you using to filter the used motor oil?
This batch I used was simply double settled, that is settled in the catch tank, then the top portion poured into a second clean tank and settled again and then the top of the 2nd tank captured for the pouring into the tank. I think the month of each settling time shook down most of the contaminants but I envision a strainer/colander with a home-made giant paper-towel as coffee filter inside the colander might be my 'polishing' filter. But, I rely on you folks heavily so as not to reinvent a process someone has already refined.
Thanks and Happy A.D. 2008

Yukon6.2
01-01-2008, 12:33
Hi
I remember a filter system my dad had made for cleaning used engin oil,it was two 10 gal drums on top of each other,the top one had about 4 layers of gyprock in it on or nearthe bottom with a hole in the drum letting the oil seep into the bottom drum,i don't remember how long it took to seep thru,the bottom drum had a valve about 3" from the bottom.He used the oil in all the yard beaters we had,i used it in my bush buggy,i remeber it was allways clear and clean.The oil came mostly from the gen sets we had for power,we lived 35miles from the grid,135 miles from the city so thier was a lot of recyling done living in the bush,nothing was thrown away till it was of no use whatsoever.

bbtlr3
01-01-2008, 19:04
Check out this link http://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/filters.php. These are 55 gal drum filters. The finest filtration is 100 microns so I'm not sure that is enough but a little modification could add some filtration. Personally I'm not so sure that I would use engine oil in the fuel. I would think that you would get large amounts of carbon buildup. I know what the inside of a gasser looks like after 50k miles with leaking valve seals. Hope this helps.

More Power
01-02-2008, 14:26
The cost of cleaning used oil (diesel fuel filters aren't cheap) has been the biggest drawback to using used motor oil as a fuel extender. Secondarily, corrosive compounds can accumulate in motor oil that cannot be removed by filtration. As a result, used motor oil is considered hazardous waste by the EPA.

For most, the cost of diesel fuel filters outweighs the cost savings of using used oil. However, there is a filter design that uses centrifugal force to remove particles down to the sub micron size. One example of these can be found at the following link:
http://www.ipfonline.com/storefront/eproductcatalogues/Product.jsp?ProdCode=797

Once acquired, a centrifugal filter offers the advantage of no-cost filter element replacement (because there isn't one) for the life of the equipment. The one linked above is advertised at removing down to 0.1 micron size particles.

Jim