PDA

View Full Version : Factory rev limited for 2006?

Mark Rinker
01-02-2008, 16:26
Truck went in for new skins today, and set SES light and would only make 2000rpm on the way there. No rough running or stumbling though.

Temp was -7, so I knew it was likely fuel related. They pulled codes, and sure enough got a

P0087 - Fuel Rail Pressure Too Low

Authorized them to replace fuel filter. After test drive, they reported back to me that the SES did not return, "but could only get 3200rpm and the spec is 4500rpm."

I never rev these things past 2400...what IS the factory rev limiter?

cabletech
01-02-2008, 18:02
The 4500rpm is only when not under power (grade braking). I think it's 3250 (or close to that) under power. The fuel gelling problem you had is from the ULSD fuel. I did 2 things to help my 3500. A lift pump and some type of fuel anti gel when below zero.

Jay

Mark Rinker
01-02-2008, 18:11
Thanks - that makes sense.

The filter was nearing its service life - it should have been replaced sooner, considering winter weather and plowing duty which burns up more fuel and doesn't rack up many miles. Add the cold snap and you have a formula for a Low Fuel Rail Pressure code.

Live and learn. I hope the service tech didn't spend too long banging it against the rev limiter to reach his conclusions...:eek: