PDA

View Full Version : reset "change engine oil" status

eric777
01-02-2008, 18:36
I changed my oil and am unable to reset the "change engine oil" message. The manual says to turn the key to run and hit the gas pedal 3 times but that doesn't work.

Any ideas?

chipper
01-02-2008, 20:47
I changed my oil and am unable to reset the "change engine oil" message. The manual says to turn the key to run and hit the gas pedal 3 times but that doesn't work.

Any ideas?

You have to pump the pedal real fast.

DmaxMaverick
01-02-2008, 21:27
.....and real hard. Push the pedal through the carpet in deliberate, timed pushes. Some of them can be a real PITA, but it will work. Just remember how it does work, for the next time.

Duramaster
01-03-2008, 07:20
Do you hace steering wheel controls? :confused: If so, scroll through the menu until you find the oil life, press and hold the return button until the oil life resets (3 - 5 seconds).

eric777
01-03-2008, 07:56
Do you hace steering wheel controls? :confused: If so, scroll through the menu until you find the oil life, press and hold the return button until the oil life resets (3 - 5 seconds).

No.

I tried it again this morning and it didn't work. I tried it real fast, pushed on the pedal hard. It didn't work. Only modification I made to the truck was I changed out the stereo for aftermarket. I had to install one of these (about a month ago) to keep the door chimes etc. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-9dYIHqYaPHf/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?I=120GMRC01 I am sure it is not related. And I did install Hypertech tuning, which I removed and put back to factory about 2 weeks ago and sent the tuner back.

I changed my oil 2 days ago.

Duramaster
01-03-2008, 19:44
Try this, set park brake. turn on key and wait for the ipc to finish its bulb check and wait for the chime to quit (about 15 seconds should do). Then depress the accellerator pedal quickly all the way down and all the way up. Three times within 10 seconds. It should reset. If not, try again. Sometimes the computer is a little picky about this procedure. Do you have your owners manual. It should cover this reset procedure.

40grit
01-04-2008, 20:31
both my 2001 and now the 2007 work like the book says, don't have to stomp it thru the floor, just have to fully depress it, let it fully up, repeat 2 more times kinda fast, worked everytime I had to do it..

EWC
01-05-2008, 12:43
My work truck is a 2005 2500HD and I can't get it to reset .

OC_DMAX
01-05-2008, 16:10
A thought,,,,, make sure you don't have floormats, etc underneath the pedal that may be preventing the accelerator from being completely depressed. I had this happen to myself once and could not reset the oil indicator.

40grit
01-06-2008, 10:46
hey, good thought, aftermarket floor mats or just the stockers bunching up in the wrong spot could stop the APP from sensing full travel..good idea OC DMAX

DmaxMaverick
01-06-2008, 12:28
The PCM needs to see 98% APP input to reset the reminder. The highest input I've seen, under any condition, is 99.6% (typically 98.5-99%) on several models over all the model years, and that last little bit is pretty sensitive. If you are having issues trying to reset the reminder, I suggest checking the APP values with a scan tool, like a Tech II or Predator. The APP module may have a mechanical limit (defect), preventing it from reaching the needed value. Also, a poor/dirty connection at the module or anywhere in the harness may be causing just enough resistance to prevent full APP input value. A simple check with a scan tool will show the actual APP value the PCM sees.

eric777
01-09-2008, 04:16
Try this, set park brake. turn on key and wait for the ipc to finish its bulb check and wait for the chime to quit (about 15 seconds should do). Then depress the accellerator pedal quickly all the way down and all the way up. Three times within 10 seconds. It should reset. If not, try again. Sometimes the computer is a little picky about this procedure. Do you have your owners manual. It should cover this reset procedure.

Yes, that worked. Apparently I had to wait for all the startup checks to complete. Then I just pressed the pedal 3 times and it showed "oil life reset" or something like that. Thanks a lot!