PDA

View Full Version : 6.2-6.5 Alternator swap

6.5 Detroit Diesel
01-02-2008, 22:01
I searched but couldn't find anything on this topic. My alternator is shot and the finances don't permit a new one. Is it possible to run a 6.2 alternator?

gophergunner
01-03-2008, 00:07
i see your from around edmonton.......i recently picked up a brand new hitachi alternator for my beater and it was around $180.....the reman alternator was $10 or $20 cheaper i think.

but i recently converted my 6.2 to a serpentine belt system that came from a 6.5, not sure of the year though, and i found that the plug on the alternator doesn't match, and anything with the 2 prong plug that my 6.2 required didn't have the same mounting brackets as the alternator from the 6.5

if the mounting is the same, and you can make the wiring work, i can't see any reason why the alternator wouldn't work

HammerWerf
01-10-2008, 13:34
The mounting system is different between the two designs.. The old 6.2 (pre 88) used a single bolt in the bottom and an adjusting bolt on top to set the tension on the belt. The unit you have uses two bolts to hold the alternator in a fixed position and the tensioner/idler pully keeps the belt tight.

The SI alternator (old 6.2/gm) used 2 prong connector. the newer CS (model you have) uses a 4 prong connector in a line. The CS also charges better at near idle speeds.

The units are not swappable between each other, without a bit of mounting fabrication.

Hope this helps

HammerWerf

HH
01-10-2008, 17:04
Take your alternator to a alternator/starter specialty rebuild shop. Last one I had done cost me $60.00.

joe bleaux
01-10-2008, 19:53
Find an automotive electric supplier and buy the diodes and replace them. Chances are generally high that is the problem with many alternator failures. Very cheap and easy to replace.

Joe

80Sierra
01-14-2008, 22:26
Take a run to Pick your Part on the West End, they'll have a ton of CS130 alternators for you to bolt straight on dirt cheap :)