PDA

View Full Version : high and low beams both on

allformike
01-04-2008, 20:58
does someone know how to wire up the headlights so that when the brights are on, the dims stay on also, like the kit they have in summit. i am familiar with and know how to wire relays, just seeing if anyone has done this

a5150nut
01-04-2008, 22:35
Did that to mine years ago. Wire the relay into the high beams to trigger the low beams at the same time. In snow the high beams can ice over and without the relay it goes dark when you hit the high beams.

Works even better if you use the relay to trigger direct voltage from battery to light.

russfixr
01-09-2008, 11:29
You don't need to get as complicated as a relay. You can install a diode between the high to low side. Current only transfers one way so when you hit the hig beams they are both on but it doesn't connect in the opposited direction. I did it to my truck years ago. It came with a kit for improving you beam strength that I found on this website. If you would like more info, let me know.

russfixr

allformike
01-10-2008, 11:27
i would love to know what diode you used. i have some buddys that work at a local audio shop that i used to work at, so getting some is no problem, as well as relays.

DmaxMaverick
01-10-2008, 12:55
If you get all 4 on at the same time (by whatever method), and are not using a relay on at least the high beams, you are asking for trouble. This places a higher load on the headlamp switch, which is already a weak link in the system. Using direct battery supply with relays takes load off the switch (use the switch power only to excite the relays). If the switch burns up, you now have no lights. And it will not happen at any convenient time.

Kennedy
01-10-2008, 19:32
If you have the 9005/9006 lamps, we have a harness that does this without risk to the electrical system AND adds a bunch of lost voltage giving even brighter light.

allformike
01-11-2008, 21:52
i think i have the 9006, i have the single glass light that has the high and low both in it.

DmaxMaverick
01-11-2008, 22:21
i think i have the 9006, i have the single glass light that has the high and low both in it.

The 9006/9005 is the 4 lamp system with replaceable bulbs. You can rig yours up the same (booster harness, relays, and/or H/L both on), but you have to do some wiring. OK for the glass lenses, but don't do it with any plastic single H/L (too hot).

Warren96
01-19-2008, 10:18
I currently use the relay and rewiring to the battery on mine,and it looks like ''high noon'' when high beams are used. I suppose I can get the wiring diagram out and find the green and brown wires,but does anybody know where the diode goes ?

jimbucks
01-19-2008, 13:13
Get in touch with John at Kennedy Diesel, he should have a kit or at least he had one for my '98 Sub